Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dog owners/vets/knowledge of dogs please look now - urgent!!!!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
*slight TMI warning*

Hi mamas,

I have a chihuahua that is 5, and she had a pancreatitis attack a couple years ago but has been fine since.

Yesterday and Today I noticed her stools were mucusy, and today there was a fish-smell. She threw up her food once, and feels a little cold (though my husband insists it's all in my head). I'm thinking perhaps anal glands need squeezed, anything else I should watch for right now? I can call the vet in the morning, but cannot afford the emergency vet. I do, however, want to make sure she's okay.

Please help, and thank you!
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Zazayam
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:53 AM

I don't know, any time I seen an animal with mucusy poops it was worm related. Hope she's better soon.

I know I'm not helpful but figured I'd bump at least, good luck.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:14 AM
Thank you for the bump!

I hope she's better soon too, scary when they're such little dogs, they dehydrate so quickly

Quoting Zazayam:

I don't know, any time I seen an animal with mucusy poops it was worm related. Hope she's better soon.

I know I'm not helpful but figured I'd bump at least, good luck.

Lindalou907
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:19 AM

I don't know, but my dog always has weird poops and smelly farts! As long as she doesn't act sick I don't worry any more.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:25 AM

The normal thing to do with stomach upsets in a dog is no food for 24 hours-no water-BUT you let them have ice cubes to lick at very frequently (same theory as a puking child-very small amounts of liquid)  Then you go wiht brown rice with a small amount of chicken mixed in for the 24 hours after the tummy issues.. IF the dog still has problems see a vet.  That is for a dog who is acting normally and has loose stools and vomiting.

Having said that, with a history of illness -I would bring my dog in.

Twofeathers
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:34 AM

sounds like shes dealing with another attack..mucusy and odd smelling is a sign/symptom 

here:

Symptoms of acute pancreatitis in dogs may range from mild to very severe. The symptoms are similar to those of other diseases and may include a very painful abdomen, abdominal distention, lack of appetite, depression, dehydration, a 'hunched up' posture, vomiting, and perhaps diarrhea. Fever often accompanies these symptoms.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:42 AM
Her abdomen seems okay, to the touch. She's not drawn up and its not hard or distended, and seems normal activity/attention wise. She seems cold which is concerning me, but I'm holding her near (not too close) a vent with the heat on, and she seems to be warming up.

Skin turgor is fine, gums are moist and pink, and her nose is cold and wet so those are good signs.

I'm just staying up with her to see if we can wait it out until morning, because I just don't have the money for the ER vet with some other unexpected financial burdens we've had lately

Quoting Twofeathers:

sounds like shes dealing with another attack..mucusy and odd smelling is a sign/symptom 

here:

Symptoms of acute pancreatitis in dogs may range from mild to very severe. The symptoms are similar to those of other diseases and may include a very painful abdomen, abdominal distention, lack of appetite, depression, dehydration, a 'hunched up' posture, vomiting, and perhaps diarrhea. Fever often accompanies these symptoms.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:43 AM
Ok thank u so much!

Quoting Anonymous:

The normal thing to do with stomach upsets in a dog is no food for 24 hours-no water-BUT you let them have ice cubes to lick at very frequently (same theory as a puking child-very small amounts of liquid)  Then you go wiht brown rice with a small amount of chicken mixed in for the 24 hours after the tummy issues.. IF the dog still has problems see a vet.  That is for a dog who is acting normally and has loose stools and vomiting.

Having said that, with a history of illness -I would bring my dog in.

SunshineBird
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Yikes....probably needs to see a vet! I know you said you can't take her at the moment due to finances but I would look for a vet that accepts payments if it continues for another day. It's not likely the anal glands....those symptoms done line up with that. Plus the dog would be dragging her butt across the floor a lot. 

littlelamb303
by Emerald Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:12 AM

it is not necessarily worm related.  My dog had that kind of a bowl movement for about a week or so.  It was basically a stomach upset from eating table scraps(there were things he was eating from outdoor bbqs, etc)The vet said fatty foods could cause this.  He was also eating the cat food and that has way more fat in it then dog food.

sammywantsababy
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:16 AM

my husband is a vet..just asked him and he said that pancreatitis can very closely resemble an upset stomach so u should have her seen. He questioned whether or not she ate any table food that would upset her belly. good luck!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)