Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does money really matter when it comes to more children?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:13 AM
  • 53 Replies

Poll

Question: Does money really matter?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 93

View Results

In your opinion should money worries such as "it would be tight" "people will judge us" really matter when having a child? (Im not talking about no imcome at all)
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gorilla_Mama
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:17 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't give a rats ass about "people will judge us" but I do care that we can support ourselves before adding another baby to the mix. DH and I want to start trying for #3 soon but we've set a number we feel comfortable with as a cushion and were waiting until we have our savings at that point.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:18 AM
Yes, it would be too tight for us so we're waiting until the end of the year when my car is paid off and we have a lot more breathing room. Plus by then I'll be 25 so my car insurance rate will go down a bit too
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Of course money should play a roll in deciding whether or not to have another child.

Whether or not people will judge is a completely different and shouldn't matter.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:21 AM

money matters a lot. I did not have a child before I could afford it.  When people have a child because they "want" it but cannot afford it, it is really irresponsible.  There is no other way to look at it.

MomRocs1102
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:21 AM

I wouldn't care what everyone else thinks, if you can support the kids have as many as you would like.  We are stopping at 3 but that's out decision.  You know what your family can afford and what you cant.  I do feel with some people why have 4 kids when you are struggling with the 3 you already have, but some people just want large families and that's not my business.  

Join Adorable Ladies Group, where women can have free uncensored conversations, and discussions minus the bashing and drama. 

www.cafemom.com/group/118542

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:22 AM
Money. Absolutely. Other people's opinions. Not at all

My dd is 10. She has been dancing since three. I would not want to damper the lifestyle we live if I could not comfortably add another child. Just like I won't marry someone who would not fit in well with us.

I went on a date. (Just one date mind you) with a guy who has a dd. We were discussing our girls and he said he would never let his dd take dance. Right then I knew that it would be an issue. I am not willing to make drastic changes to our lifestyle.

Some sacrifices absolutely. But not ones that would not allow dd to do dance or would cause me to be on PA.
BethRae
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I think if you get to the point you can't afford another child you should stop. We are expecting our 4th child. As much as it saddens me this has to be our last. My husband and I both grew up poor and we want to be able to give our children more. We want to be able to help them with college when the time comes. If we had more children then the children we have would get less. So we've decided this will be our last. This is just our opinion on it.

Others opinions on it doesn't play a roll. I'm the one having the kids so they can think whatever they want
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KKmommy3
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this

For the sake of the children and your own well being, it would be a good idea to figure out if you could handle the financial responsibilities that come with each additional child in the future, before adding more.  I know sometimes there are surprises, but that should also be planned for.  Sometimes I wish I could have more babies, but it would not make sense, and would not be fair to the three I already have, because then we would be struggling to get by, instead of being able to give them all they need.

BethRae
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Pretty much what I said haha

Quoting KKmommy3:

For the sake of the children and your own well being, it would be a good idea to figure out if you could handle the financial responsibilities that come with each additional child in the future, before adding more.  I know sometimes there are surprises, but that should also be planned for.  Sometimes I wish I could have more babies, but it would not make sense, and would not be fair to the three I already have, because then we would be struggling to get by, instead of being able to give them all they need.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:29 AM
This.

Quoting Gorilla_Mama:

I don't give a rats ass about "people will judge us" but I do care that we can support ourselves before adding another baby to the mix. DH and I want to start trying for #3 soon but we've set a number we feel comfortable with as a cushion and were waiting until we have our savings at that point.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)