Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy after Leep

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

I am currently 6 weeks pregnant and had a LEEP done 3 months ago. I am wondering if I can still deliver vaginally. Also I haven't had my pap check up yet since having the LEEP (its not until June). But my doctor said if it were to recur it almost always does so in the first year. So now I'm a little scared that it will recur during my pregnancy. Is it more likely to recur because of the pregnancy hormones?? My doctor said my cervix was healed beautifully and gave us the go ahead to start TTC but I'm just nervous now. I don't want it to come back during my pregnancy and not be able to have a vaginal birth.

Also I just had my first pregnancy check yesterday and when the doctor did the swab on my cervix it started to bleed a little. She said she barely touched it. But she told me NOT to worry because its totally normal and that there is a lot of blood flow down there right now. I didnt think my cevix was that sensitive, even when we were TTC I was checking my cervix while trying to track ovulation and it did not bleed. Is it just because im pregnant?? 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:21 AM

I am not sure what a LEEP is. Here is a bump.

lylleve
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Yes, u can. I had a leep and got pregnant a month later. They tried pushing me to do a vbac, but i chose a c section. (Not related to leep, my hips wont seperate)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:27 AM
When pregnant there is more blood flow so that makes sense and since your cervix healed perfectly you are most likely good to go with vaginal delivery. I was told pregnancy tends to clear it up and never had another recurrence since my first baby 6 years ago and had two vaginal deliveries. Usually the problem with leep is scar tissue making it difficult to conceive but as always your ob is the best person to trust here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BethRae
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:31 AM
I don't know what LEEP is but I do know that it's totally normal for you to bleed a lil during the pelvic exam. In early pregnancy you have extra blood flow down there and it can be a little sensitive. If you start to have heavy bleeding accompanied with cramping then you worry. But I'm sure you're fine! Congrats on the pregnancy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HelloSweetie
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I delivered vaginall after a LEEP. Mine was several years prior though. I did have some scar tissue on my cervix, which had to be torn so I would dilate all the way, I didn't feel it. Didn't seem to cause any actual issues.

Snakecharmer76
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Yep...you can totally have a vag birth after a LEEP!  The only worry you have after a LEEP is the issue of cervical incompetence so they'll have to measure the depth of your cervix to be sure it can carry the weight of your pregnancy. I had a LEEP done in 08 and now have 2 kids (they were born section but that wasn't because of a cervical issue...I still dialated properly but baby got stuck). You also bled during a routine pap because of the additional blood flow that's normal during pregnancy.

HelloSweetie
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:41 AM

ETA- I had half of my cervix removed in my LEEP, idk how much was removed in yours but I was TOLD that it heals to a point where you wouldn't know it had happened. Seems not the case exactly, for me. Scarring.

Quoting HelloSweetie:

I delivered vaginall after a LEEP. Mine was several years prior though. I did have some scar tissue on my cervix, which had to be torn so I would dilate all the way, I didn't feel it. Didn't seem to cause any actual issues.

LilliesValley
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Yes you can but you may need a cerclage or stitch in your cervix. I had a cone ten years ago and my cervix is still like that but I hear they aren't as intensive with cones and leeps as they were when I had mine done.

You definately want them to keep an eye on your cervical length. If its too short your mucus plug could not hold and cause a mc. Sorry not trying to scare you but give you some facts. Good luck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Whats LEEP?

HelloSweetie
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Loop Electrosurgical Excision Procedure (LEEP) for Abnormal Cervical Cell Changes

The loop electrosurgical excision procedure (LEEP) uses a thin, low-voltage electrified wire loop to cut out abnormal tissue. LEEP can:

• Cut away abnormal cervical tissue that can be seen during colposcopy.
  • Remove abnormal tissue high in the cervical canal that cannot be seen during colposcopy. In this situation, LEEP may be done instead of a cone biopsy. (For more information, see cone biopsy.)

LEEP is also known as large loop excision of the transformation zone (LLETZ).

Quoting Anonymous:

Whats LEEP?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)