Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Im about to kick FIL out because Im worried he is putting my family at risk. Am I overreacting?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

Soooo... FIL lives with us, he is disabled and cannot live alone. I had a lot of reservations about this situation, which I will get into in a second, but DH assured me that everything would be fine. 

NOW... FIL does not have a very good past. When DH and his sisters were growing up, FIL was into a lot of bad things, and was in and out of jail. One of DH's earliest memories was the cops storming in in the middle of the night and bending FIL over the kitchen table with a gun to his head while arresting him and searching the house. Because of his past, he is obviously a felon and no longer able to have guns. This was all about 15-20 years ago, but FIL was involved in another incident that he almost went to jail for right before DH and I got married 5 years ago because of his ex. So, even though HIS history is old news, he has been on the radar relatively recently. 

Fast Forward. Like I said, FIL is now disabled, he is barely able to do more than putter around on his tablet. He isnt supposed to lift more than 10lbs and the slightest wrong movement can kill him because of his back and neck issues. I know for a fact he does not have any guns in the house. He is not a danger to our family, he has all his issues taken care of. DH has forgiven him and they are on good terms now (obviously since we let him move in)

But, because of all the gun controversy lately... It has become his "thing" on FB to protest the possible gun laws... Well, he keeps posting pictures of guns implying that they are his "This is the first gun ever given to me" and "My guns will be passed down to my grandkids"  DUDE! 

The last thing I need my kids having a memory of is these small town gung-ho cops getting an itch to come raid our house because "the felon is stashing guns" (WHICH HE ISNT... I know 100% there are no guns in this house, except the BB Guns and Paintball gun)  Then our small town CPS of course will get involved because the police raided our house... and maybe I am over-reacting... but am I really? 

Told DH to talk to his Dad... hopefully he will take that stuff down. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:55 AM

because he is posting pictures of guns, you want to throw him out?

wow, i would say you are over reacting, not slightly but extremely.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I don't think you are over reacting, you just told dh to talk to his dad, you didn't tell him to kick him out. if your dh won't talk to him than you need to. tell him if he doesn't stop posting the stuff and to take what he has posted down, than you don't want him in your house (which personally, i find a little extreme)

If you are 100% sure there are no guns in the house than you have nothing to worry about. Sure, the cops COULD come, serve a warrant and search the house but if nothing is found, no big deal. I doubt cps would get involved if no guns are found but again, if they do get involved and find nothing, nothing will happen.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this
You both need to talk to him together. It is both of yours house. Give him the 2 options. 1 take it down and stay. 2 leave it up and go. It's that easy.
scarletmeshell
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Having guns in the house, which you don't, is not cps worthy. Just have your dh explain to his dad that people may get the wrong idea. He is entitled to post his opinion online but not put false statements about owning weapons.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:11 AM
It is if there is a convicted felon in the house. What he is implying on Facebook (if it were true) is a felony.

Quoting scarletmeshell:

Having guns in the house, which you don't, is not cps worthy. Just have your dh explain to his dad that people may get the wrong idea. He is entitled to post his opinion online but not put false statements about owning weapons.

Drochmheas
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I can see your point.

But unfortunately, he does have the right to post what he wants (since he's not slandering someone else).

If you live in a small town, have you considered going to the police chief or sheriff and talking with him/her about it?  Obviously, get an attorney, but perhaps with legal counsel and witnesses, the cops can discreetly come to the house, see the situation for themselves, and have documentation in the future that the situation is kosher.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Lol ok .....
VannaMae307
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Go eat some brownies and stop making something out of nothing. You are definitely over-reacting by thinking all of this over some pictures he likes on facebook.

cmfarm
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I think you are overreating. I REALLY doubt that the police would get involved based on something said on FB. I doubt most people even know he is a felon and can't have guns.

scarletmeshell
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

It is if there is a convicted felon in the house. What he is implying on Facebook (if it were true) is a felony.

Quoting scarletmeshell:

Yes I understand this, so that is why his son should ask him to take the posts off.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)