Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Foodstamps and sterotypes *Revision on bottom*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 221 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have 3 kids, 1 school age, 1 toddler, and 1 newborn. They were not born into a "poverty family." Actually we were really well to do, and my husband worked a great job at the hospital, making over 13 dollars an hour. We planned carefully and decided we could afford our youngest. Im a stay at home mom and always have been, as we both feel it is my job to ensure we have happy, healthy, productive children, while he works and ensures the bills are paid and food is on the table. While I was 6 months pregnant with our youngest, the hospital gave my husband some very bad news. Cutbacks and his department was one to be cut back. He wasnt the first to go, he was like the 3rd or 4th to go. But the second he was told cutbacks and his department was getting hit the hardest, he started job hunting. Foodstamps was not our first outlet, it was our last. We had our savings, but with rent, utlities, 3 kids, car payment, insurance, and doctor bills for me, we went through our savings very fast. We had family help, but not much as his family lives thousands of miles away, and my family is poverty level. He got a job at a fast food resturant making 7.25 an hour. I started working a part time job making 7.25 an hour. We barely made ends meet (actually we didnt), I pulled our daughter out of girl scouts, cheer, and soccer. My son got pulled from his gymnastics class at the YMCA. We couldnt afford them, they were the first things we cut back on. I dropped my Pregnancy Lamaze and my yoga class. They were cut back along with the kids stuff. We finally ran out of savings around the time our youngest was born, thats when we sat down to talk. I was on Maternity leave, He wasnt making anything to buy food after the bills were paid. He suggested we get food stamps to help feed the kids at least. We weren't worred about us, it was out babies we were worried about. So we went down and applied and got accepted. But Not long after we got accepted my husband heard a break. There was a place in town hiring for a health aide in a group home. 9.25 an hour 40+ hours a week!!!!!! He was overjoyed, he came home after work, gave me a kiss and said honey I found a better job! But I have to go apply RIGHT NOW! So he ran back out the door and went and applied. He started the training on Monday. And he gave me the option of going back to work or staying home again. Im overjoyed. His first paycheck is in 2 weeks. We are thinking good bye PA! :) We are overjoyed.

What happened to us, was not us living off the system. We had a rough patch. We were prepared the best we could be. But sometimes people are victims of a bad situation. And as long as they use PA as Temp assistance, thats fine. But not something to live off of for all their life. And not all kids whoes familys are on PA are born into poverty. Some of them are actually born in really good families, that hit a nasty spot. 

I have chose to stay at home again with the youngest 2. And we can afford it!!! :D

Let me better clearfy his income. He makes 9.25 an hour just when hes in the group home, He also drives the company van for 3 to 5 hours a day which is time and a half, and than my DH is not shy of working holidays which is time and a half. So were not just living off on 9.25 an hour. He also has parts of his day where he is making time and a half.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
audreesmama
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:04 AM
11 moms liked this
Ain't nobody got time to read all dat.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AVSpecWife4
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Ummm
Drochmheas
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:07 AM

There's a lot there I could disagree with, but if you're satisfied, so be it.

I truly hope you don't find yourself back in this situation again soon.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:08 AM
8 moms liked this

13 dollars an hour is not well to do, and honestly I would be surprised you weren't on assistance prior to his job loss if you had three kids. Double that income and it might be livable.

embrigmom
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:11 AM
3 moms liked this

I agree you guys were not on to abuse the system. Your family used it what it was there for. To help you when you just couldn't make ends meet even though you were both hard working and cut back on all the extras.

I had to use PA when I first left my ex and needed to get on my feet. Was only on it for about 6-12months. It helped me to keep food in my child's belly while I was looking for a job.

But there are people to get on it and just abuse the system. Sad but true. I knew someone who did that.

FL2AK
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:14 AM
13 moms liked this
I couldn't get past you thinking that $13 an hour is enough for a family of 5. You were already living in poverty.
FL2AK
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Sometimes there are no words huh?

Quoting AVSpecWife4:

Ummm

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:17 AM
5 moms liked this
Glad you where able to get back on your feet. That's what it is there for.
AVSpecWife4
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Pretty much!

Quoting FL2AK:

Sometimes there are no words huh?

Quoting AVSpecWife4:

Ummm

AVSpecWife4
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:21 AM
I make over 13 an hour and it would be BARELY enough to provide for my entire family if my DH didn't work.

Quoting FL2AK:

I couldn't get past you thinking that $13 an hour is enough for a family of 5. You were already living in poverty.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)