Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My house my rules...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 59 Replies
1 mom liked this
Do you go thou your kids stuff... like a dairy or anything the kids might have to put their stuff in?

I have a child who thinks they can tell me to keep out of there room. And not touch their stuff...
And the SO just will say thats right I for got this is your house... wtf?

No if I want to go in that room I can, I dont think kids have a right to tell me what I cant and cant do... or try to boss me... I dont care if you are not my kid...

What do you tell your kids about the rules of the house and if they talk back then what?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jcampbell288
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:08 AM
2 moms liked this

I think there is a line between, bossing a parent and wanting privacy

My partents (including a step parent) did the whole "my house my rules" I can come in your room and do what every I want thing... and I am now furiously protective of some things - like my phone cause its "mine"

and RESPECTING your child enough to give them some privacy- like reading a diary or journal.

My child knows to knock on our door if its closed and she wants to come in, and we do the same for her. She has journals that she writes in, and we dont read them. I think that teaches a child respect.

Kerannmer
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Just because this is my house does not mean that I should violate my daughter's privacy. I have no intentions of ever reading her diary or snooping through her things just because "I can".

However, if I ever had concerns for her safety or thought she was doing something that could harm herself (drugs, etc.), I would be wrong if I didn't look for evidence.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Quoting Kerannmer:

Just because this is my house does not mean that I should violate my daughter's privacy. I have no intentions of ever reading her diary or snooping through her things just because "I can".

However, if I ever had concerns for her safety or thought she was doing something that could harm herself (drugs, etc.), I would be wrong if I didn't look for evidence.

when shes home I knock and whens gone I just walk in... but when I have to put her clothes up after asking a hundred times to do so she gets mad when I just go in without her being there... and she just walks in whenever she wants when I have our door shut... it just pisses me off. I dont go thou her dairy I just nosily around the room to know where it is...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:25 AM

All I know is that my parents were like you growing up and I still have privacy issues because of it.

Allowing a little privacy is not bad. Everyone deserves that.

RaynesMommy07
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Give them some privacy. Your house or not. It's their house too. You brought them there to live, they're your kids, give them privacy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I would never read my daughter's diary, unless I was given a reason to. She is entitled to some privacy. I also knock before I enter her room.

However, the room she lives in is mine, I just let her occupy it. If I feel it is warranted, I will go through her room.

CafeMom Tickers
Lizardannie1966
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I've never disrespected my children's right to privacy.

If there were ever any questions we had or concerns, we talked with them. Perhaps we're blessed because we do have open relationships with all three of our kid's.

I don't believe that the "my house and my rules" applies to being a snoop.

ninjakids
by Christina on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Wait...so its your step daughter? Yeah - No.... There is a difference between right and wrong and if even your SO is complaining then clearly thats a sign.
BrookadeeBrooke
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:32 AM
I don't have teenagers yet so I don't know the situation, but I think everyone needs their own space and freedom.
I think of a dairy as personal thoughts written on paper, if they haven't told you them I don't think it would be right to invade them.
But then again I don't know the situation.
JLS2388
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:35 AM

My kids are still young so it is not an issue but when they are teens, yes, I will go through their stuff if I want to. Now I won't do it just for kicks and giggles, if I have no reason to suspect anything I won't go through their stuff but if I do,  I will have no problem going through anything in my house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)