• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I just found out I am getting a $90,000 settlement

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 40 Replies
2 moms liked this

Almost a year ago, I was hit by a car in a parking lot. I got an attorney and had to do physical therapy 3-5 times a week for 3 months, I still have pain and they told me that will never completely go away.

Anyway, my attorney called me to tell me the insurance company agreed to a $90,000 settlement. 1/3 will go to the attorney's office (which I am fine with because I know I wouldn't have gotten near this much on my own). Then I have to pay $7,000 in uncovered medical expenses (my car insurance covered 80%). So I am going to have about $53,000 left. I am a stay at home mom and this is more then DH makes in a year. We thought we might walk out of this with maybe a couple grand but this is well over what we thought we would get. I am so excited!

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:14 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Thanks for letting me share my excitement. Me and DH have agreed to not tell anyone but my mom about the money. If his family found out, they would ALL be asking for money and while $53,000 is a good amount of money, if you give $1,000 away here and $1,000 away there, next thing you know, it's all gone

boldrumble
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Yay. But sorry for the pain you will have to endure. If i were you i would put that money away for posible future medical bills as a result of the accident.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:16 AM
2 moms liked this
My best friend was in a bad accident too. Her case settled for 89k. After everything was said and done she was left with about 60k..... this happened when we were 18.....7 years later she still has it in savings
JOEJULA
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Good for you. What are you going to do with it?

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:17 AM

That's good news, bad circumstances though.

jenmomx3
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I want half!

Grumpylilpixy
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Congrats. Hopefully you guys use it wisely and make good.choices so it paysback in the long run. :0)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
elisesmom922
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Are you going to do something like buy a house, pay off/buy a car etc? Just curious. Sorry you had to go through all that, but glad you got something from it.

VintageWife
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I'm sorry for your injuries. I'm glad they're willing to settle. You could put some of it in some sort of cd at the bank so it can't be touched for a while (that's the one you can't take out for a period of time, right?). That way you're not tempted to use it for something silly and you can't loan it if word gets out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)