Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spinoff-child support vs ssdi

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
The 'how child support should be spent ' post got me thinking...ds gets dependent benefits because his father is disabled. And they are very strict about it. I can only use his money to pay his portion of the bills 1/4 of everything. And food clothing shelter . Rent is ok. But not a mortgage payment, because he would never own the house. And not a car payment unless it was his car in his name. I don't really get that. I even called them to see if it was alright to use his money towards building onto our house so he could have his own room and they said no.
So shouldn't child support be based on the same guidelines?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Bump
owl0210
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this
No it shouldn't. Child support is the money that they would already be paying if you were still together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:39 AM

My son was on SSI for 3 years till we made too much money. I used it for whatever we needed it for. When the yearly came up it would ask what we used it on. I would say clothes, food and medical appts. It was not a lie. Considering the money was put in with the rest all those things were paid for, I can't guarantee which dollar went to what but they didnt care.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:41 AM
I'm pretty sure ssdi is different

Quoting Anonymous:

My son was on SSI for 3 years till we made too much money. I used it for whatever we needed it for. When the yearly came up it would ask what we used it on. I would say clothes, food and medical appts. It was not a lie. Considering the money was put in with the rest all those things were paid for, I can't guarantee which dollar went to what but they didnt care.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Nope comes from the same place. SSDI is for kids of disabled parents, and SSI for for disabled individuals. Both come from social security.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:46 AM
It's not income based apparently because they said it did t matter how much money I made. I only had to report if ds got a job

Quoting Anonymous:

Nope comes from the same place. SSDI is for kids of disabled parents, and SSI for for disabled individuals. Both come from social security.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:46 AM

If he gets a job it will impact the benefits.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's not income based apparently because they said it did t matter how much money I made. I only had to report if ds got a job

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

mommaharley
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:48 AM

SSDI has stricter guidelines though.  SSI can be used for almost anything so long as it goes to the care of the individual with the disability, but SSDI really can't because at some point, that individual will be able to be on their own.  My DD gets SSI because of her Down Syndrome - she will never be able to live on her own so it's to provide everything for her that she needs.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

rosaleeandtwo
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:52 AM

No, it should not.

They aren't the same thing.

kansasmom1978
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I did not realize that. Thanks for clarifying

Quoting mommaharley:

SSDI has stricter guidelines though.  SSI can be used for almost anything so long as it goes to the care of the individual with the disability, but SSDI really can't because at some point, that individual will be able to be on their own.  My DD gets SSI because of her Down Syndrome - she will never be able to live on her own so it's to provide everything for her that she needs.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)