Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homemade cleaners/detergents etc...???

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:13 AM
  • 3 Replies

Ok mamas I need a little help! My family and I are relocating due to DH getting a new job about 4 hours away. The town is small and very remote- about 40 miles from the closest town with your average Walmart, Kroger or any type of major store. We do have a small grocery store but from what I've heard it's very expensive because the owners charge an arm and a leg knowing you're not going to drive 40 miles for something like laundry detergent or toilet paper so they're your only option. So, I'd like to find ways to avoid that if possible where I can. Making my own laundry detergent, multi-purpose cleaner, dish soap etc. and basically anything else that I can manage to make myself. Ideas? Thanks!

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
cupomeow
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

You need basics like vinegar, baking soda, washing soda, borax, lemon juice, vegetable oil, essential oils and bar soap. There are tons of recipes online. Two bonuses, if you make your own you save lots of money and it is better for the enviroment.

Talliana
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I actually think it comes out the same amount whether you purchase or make your own, unless you are growing your own ingredients. You still have to buy the things to make the cleaners so why not just purchase generic or less expensive cleaners. I love Tide but paying $14 for a box is ridiculous when I can get a bottle of Wisk for $2 or even a buck if I can get a coupon for it. If you change your buying habits and stock up I think that would save you more money. We also do not have a Walmart close by but I go on a Walmart run at least once a month to stock up on toilet paper, paper towels, soap, detergent, etc.  

dorfmama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:28 AM
I made a tub & sink cleaner called "blessing in a bottle". It's just dawn & vinegar. It got my tub cleaner than anything else I've ever used. I found it on Pinterest. You could also order things from amazon. Their prices are usually very competitive, and you could get free shipping.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)