Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just recieved a check for a job I quit over 2 weeks ago...

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM
  • 34 Replies

So I quit my job on February 19th, I got my last check on February 22nd, then nothing on the 1st, then just got a direct deposit for  full week salary today...

I called the main office and the owners son answered and I told him I'd recieved a direct deposit. He said "oh, maybe they forgot to stop your pay" and I said well i don't know cause they didn't pay anything last week so that's weird. Then he just said "alright, well thanks for letting me know" and hung up.

So here's my question. How long do I have to let the money sit in the account before they can no longer pull it out and I can go ahead and spend it?

He didn't seem to care and he didn't say whether they would pull it out or not, so I'm just leaving it, but since I notified them, I would think they would have to remove it within a certain time period or its mine right? I can't find any info on it.

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM

They can't take the money out of your account.  You authorized them to deposit, not withdraw.

im_not_trollin
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:48 AM

BUMP!

nikki554
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I dont think they can reverse a ach deposit. when you sign up (usually) for direct deposit there is a memo that says *this only authorizes us to make deposits. we can not remove money from your account with this information.*

Kodysmommy928
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM

They can't reverse it, they are only authorized to deposit it.  They may be able to take you to court over it though.

im_not_trollin
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I don't know, the direct deposit paper I filled out didn't say anything about withdrawal but I've searched online and there seems to be a consensus that all direct deposit policies allow for withdrawal of overpayment.... I don't know, I no longer have the handbook....

Quoting WifeyC:

They can't take the money out of your account.  You authorized them to deposit, not withdraw.

im_not_trollin
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Quoting Kodysmommy928:

They can't reverse it, they are only authorized to deposit it.  They may be able to take you to court over it though.

I would think since I called him, that they would ask me for a check or something....

CutieCrab
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:51 AM
I have no idea, but this sounds like a legit response. So I am going with this! :)
Quoting WifeyC:

They can't take the money out of your account. Β You authorized them to deposit, not withdraw.

zianneaaliyah
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:51 AM
2 moms liked this

You sure they aren't paying you for your vacation/sick pay?

EvaTheDiva29
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:52 AM

they cant take it out, but if they want it back, they can sue and win for it, if it is not yours to keep. id leave it in there for at least two weeks.

Kodysmommy928
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Did he tell you to keep it?  I would make sure I keep a record of any phone call.  Did you leave any vacation time on the table?  It may be pay for that.

Quoting im_not_trollin:

Quoting Kodysmommy928:

I would think since I called him, that they would ask me for a check or something....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)