• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can't pay credit card bill but they keep calling **ETA**

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 47 Replies
My mother just called and said a debt collector called their house looking for me. The last time I called this company I told them, I cannot pay right now, my unemployment ran out and I don't have a job. These idiots asked if I had anyone who could "help" me pay them. What are they going to do and how do I get them to stop calling? I can't pay them right now! It's a credit card I got through my bank. I owe about 2400. They said the next step is collection or court. **If I pay 10 dollars a month will that keep it from collections? The interest will keep building that way won't it? Won't I end up paying double the amount I owe if I do it that way?**
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hanab818
by ThePonds on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:05 AM
They will call their lawyer. And contact the credit report bureau. They will try and make a settlement with you but until they get their money they won't stop. It happened to my grandma after she was hospitalized for a couple of months and her kids forgot to take care of her bills they said they would pay for the time being.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BluePandaDreams
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Send you to collections. Then those idiots will hound you to death. Depending on the company and the amount, they could take you to court. Of course, if you aren't working, there isn't much more they can do. And this will jack up your credit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Of course they are going to ask if you have someone that can help.  You owe them money.  Your lack of income is not their problem and they won't go away.

EvaTheDiva29
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:08 AM

id call a lawyer have them send them a letter to stop harrassing you. they can't talk to anyone but you about your debt, and they can't call family either. 

Derari
by :::Achtung::: on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Go to a debt settlement company and find out what your options are. You don't want your credit going down the tubes.

WritingMom777
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Unfortunately, they are probably going to keep calling you.  I would be polite each time (if you answer the phone) and hope they don't get ugly.  The worst they could do is try to sue you in court but if you don't have the funds it isn't really helping them.  If it is a lot of money then they are going to continue trying to collect the money.  I think that they can only call a certain amount of times though.  You might want to google for some more information to find out what your rights are.  I think that things have changed in the last couple of years.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Let it go into collections and work out a deal

I owed Sears $8,000,lt go into collections and settled for $1,600

kgsharber
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Block their number :0) Best $1 a month you will ever spend.

bellawomen
by Summer on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Depending on your state, if someone else starts paying your debt payments they can also be entangled in your mess. Never give them names. You need to talk to them instead of ignoring them. You are only making it worse for yourself and now it has went to collections. You are ruining yourself.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Well - they will send you to collections (and likely win).  They can attach any wages you make, attach income tax returns, and so on.  Put a lien on any car or property you own.

Unless you're in Texas.  Then I understand they can't do much more than keep calling.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)