Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

They were feeding a 9 month old sweet tea

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Because they were out of formula. Them being my niece and her mother feeding my nieces daughter sweet tea. And she wants to bitch about people feeding her baby cheese. Fine, whatever, it's her right but it blows my mind how she could have a problem with cheese an no problem with sweet tea. Or soda. Or chocolate. Or chips. So my niece is yelling at her mom about not having anything she needs (money for prom, concert tickets etc) and when she asks for a bottle and her mom tells her their out of formula, she just says "ok, I'll give her tea". I have almost one year old and I just gave her the case of formula. Can you manage having to survive off of sweet tea and potatoe chips? Some people.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Replies (61-70):
Maevelyn
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Ummm... Is this baby going to die? I've heard that babies should only get formula or breast milk to drink until they are 1

Maevelyn
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:24 PM

yeah but not in place of formula right? All things in moderation but if a baby is hungry sweet tea is not a replacement for formula. 

Quoting blue_elephant:

I give my 10 month old lemonade and water oh the horrors

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:24 PM

My ex-babysitter was giving my 4 month old niece sweet tea in her bottle... instead of formula... but yet she refused to give her a pacifier?? Make any sense to you? because it sure didn't to me! lol 

paganmommy4
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:24 PM

That I have a problem with.. Thats how kids get overweight is giving crap like that. Sounds like a girl I used to know who flat out refused to feed her son at 9 months old, fed him out of the same nasty ass bottles without being washed properly. I sat him down one day and fed him baby food and he liked it alot. I am for babies getting solids at 4 months old because they are growing and I do not think breast milk can do it alone

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I think the issue here is she is feeding her the tea b/c shes out of formula..There are healthier things to give a 9 month old if they are out of fornula or the mom  could  go get a job.

Quoting blue_elephant:

kdjdod081013
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:30 PM

How old is your niece?

Honestly if the baby was crying I would rather see her get a bottle of sweet tea until they can get formula than cows milk, I know giving my kids sips of tea didn't make them sick, giving them cows milk did. But yes, baby needs to have formula ASAP.

ETA I'm talking the time it takes to get your ass in the car and get to the store. Not hours and not days. It happened to me once, I thought I had enough to wait till morning to go to the store. I was wrong and had to load both kids in the car at 2am to drive 30 minutes to the store and get DS some formula.

angevil53
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:31 PM
If it's just to pacify her for a lot while i don't see an issue but if it's bc they can't or wont buy formula that's messed up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TAG_ur_it
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:32 PM

i understand perfctly what every one is saying.  the comment you quoted was in direct response to someone else who is being completely ridiculous.  you apparently did not read my original comment nor my other comments not quoted here.  in subsequent replies, the OP said the baby hadn't had formula in 2 days.  that is a huge problem. i NEVER NEVER NEVER said anywhere that it was ok for the baby to have a ton of it and only the tea.  tea isn't bad for you but had zero nutritional value.  the reply you have quoted was merely disputing the anonymous poster who apparently thinks that drinking tea at a young age is "what's wrong with Americans", that it leads to adult obesity.  it's not true and i called her out on it.  that reply was in no way trying to justify the actions of the people described in the OP. 

Quoting becky1109:

thats not what any of us is saying at all, did you read the post? this family actually couldnt buy formula so decided to replace the meal with sweet tea... thats a parenting fail right there! its fine if your like oh you want some.. heres a little not to replace food

Quoting TAG_ur_it:

you are over generalizing and making an ass of yourself.  my kids are scrawny as hell, but eat very healthy. they've had sweet tea since about 8 or 9 month, in moderation.   not everyone who enjoys sweet tea is a fat slob.  you assume that tea drinkers are unhealthy? tea is actually good for you.  antioxidants and helps clear your system. plus it tastes great.  granted, it depends on how much sugar you use.  but in general, a glass of tea is very low in calories.  even with regular sugar.   there are about 720 calories per gallon of sweet tea.  and that's southern sweet. that's about 6 calories per ounce.  even a full bottle would only be 48 calories.  160 in a bottle of formula.  granted, the formula has all the nutrients, but my comments states that the tea won't hurt if they're tiding the child over until they get formula.  a bottle of tea, even one per day isn't going to make that child fat.   

Quoting Anonymous:

This is America's problem
first its sweet tea, then its a greasy burger, then its nachos loaded with cheese and the list goes on. OH a little wont hurt, next thing you know you have a 50 year old who is overweight with a long list of health problems

Quoting TAG_ur_it:

survive off of, no. but if they're just letting her have some, i see no issue here. 

if they're heading to the store later and want to give her some to tide her over until they get more, again, i see no issue.  but if that's all she's getting, that is a problem. 

angevil53
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:33 PM
They're getting their nails and hammers ready...

Quoting paganmommy4:

That I have a problem with.. Thats how kids get overweight is giving crap like that. Sounds like a girl I used to know who flat out refused to feed her son at 9 months old, fed him out of the same nasty ass bottles without being washed properly. I sat him down one day and fed him baby food and he liked it alot. I am for babies getting solids at 4 months old because they are growing and I do not think breast milk can do it alone

blue_elephant
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this
No, never, she has formula and she gets a sippy cup full of lemonade, water or juice, hasn't had juice yet mainly because I'm too lazy to make some but its still an option for a sippy cup.

Quoting Maevelyn:

yeah but not in place of formula right? All things in moderation but if a baby is hungry sweet tea is not a replacement for formula. 

Quoting blue_elephant:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)