Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BF after Surgery Question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
Yesterday I had my gallbladder taken out. It was an out patient procedure and am home already. I asked the surgeon on Monday how would it effect my milk. She said I might have to pump and dump for a couple days but it would be better to ask after the surgery. So I asked and was told to ask ds pediatrician. I called and had to leave a message since he wasn't in yet. My dh asked somebody, and they told him pump and dump for four days but he doesn't know who he asked. Anybody have any experience with bfing and surgery? I only have a hand pump and it takes longer than I have energy for. That is why I am asking.

Eta: I'm not worried about the Percocet they gave me for afterwards. That doesn't seem to bother him.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
VannaMae307
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:33 AM

If you are concerned on whether it is being passed into your milk there are strips you can buy at babies r us that you dip in the milk and it shows if there are drugs/alcohol in it. I would still ask your pedi though

Eliots_momma
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:36 AM

If you are awake enough to hold baby, then you can nurse. The anethesia wont effect your milk, so you dont have to pump and dump.

Surgeons and peds have no clue and breastfeeding. Call an IBCLC or a LLL Leader.

Eliots_momma
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:40 AM

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/meds/anesthetics/

Here is more detailed info if you know what meds you were given.

Saintsational
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Check here to see if the meds you are taking are safe to use while breastfeeding...

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/meds/pain-meds/

I had my gallbladder removed while nursing my DD. I was given Percocet & ibuprofen for pain management & told that both were safe to use while nursing. Dr did say that DD may appear drowsy while I was taking the Percocet though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:45 AM
As soon as you're out from anesthesia you can nurse.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Thank you ladies. :) This would've been nice to know yesterday!
2BRBgirlz
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I had my tubes tied a few weeks ago, I breastfeed a few hours later.  I asked 4 people at the hospital and got four different answers!!  I ended up listening to my midwife, she said to wait a few hours.

Mainstream Moms
Come join us!!  No crunchiness!big smile mini

Jennahalt
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:11 PM
It is safe to breastfeed now. Ive had surgeries on my neck and brain while breastfeeding. Percocet is safe while breastfeeding.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)