• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP!

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:36 AM
  • 3 Replies

I feel like giving up (not yet) and pulling my hair out!!!  I never knew suppositories were so complicated!

OK - let's get it over with.  The kid size says for ages "2-5" - but what about for an older child?  Is it OK to use a child size on a 7+? Or pre-teen?  I am sure inserting a small suppository for a constipated child won't harm but may not be large nor effective enough.  We also have adult ones in the house for emergencies - should I cut those in half?

Also, I was always taught that the pointed end should go in (for ease of insertion) first; now I am reading where the BLUNT end should be inserted 1st.  Also, I have read where a suppository can be coated with some vaseline / jelly for "comfort."  But I also hear the opinion that lubricant may inhibit the suppository's effectiveness and delay its melting. Some med books suggest running a little water on it instead.   Goodness!  There has to be a better way - at my wit's end and have already tried oral stool softeners.  AND WHY does DM / DW always get stuck (no pun intended -_-) with this unenviable task?  I never hear about Dads / hubbies getting the chore of suppositiories!!!!  Help!  Thank you -)

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this
You can use the child one in an older child. Not an adult but age 7 or 8 would be fine. Use vasaliene. Follow package instructions
sdks2011
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this
If it helps, my husband has taken care of this enjoyable task with out little ones on more than one occasion. I've always inserted the pointed end first...no way would i do blunt end first...ouch! I have used the child size on myself and they worked just fine...I know, TMI but it does answer your question on if you can use it for your older child.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lindsay303
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:41 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)