Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about eviction and getting into a rental....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

My dh and I are trying to find a house to rent. He has very decent credit and great rental history. I, on the other hand, had an eviction a few years ago. I am currently a SAHM but dh makes good money so income isn't an issue. We found a house that we like but we both have to fill out an application. I am so afraid my past eviction is going to prevent us from getting this place. Does anyone know if they would turn him down because of that?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mlmynm81
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:59 AM

How long ago was your eviction?

ShannaBee
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:00 PM
When we were looking for an apartment, everywhere we went only cared about the breadwinner's credit. I even had a minimum wage job but since DH made more, they didn't need my credit history. But it may be different in your state.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LNLMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM

this...depends on how long ago your eviction was really. And how is your credit?

Quoting mlmynm81:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:03 PM

It was three years ago. My credit sucks. I hit a really rough patch during that time and I am currently working on repairing it.

Quoting LNLMommy:

this...depends on how long ago your eviction was really. And how is your credit?

Quoting mlmynm81:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I don't see why mine would matter since I am not bringing in any income and he could afford the place fine all on his own. I'm just nervous because they asked me to fill out an application too.

Quoting ShannaBee:

When we were looking for an apartment, everywhere we went only cared about the breadwinner's credit. I even had a minimum wage job but since DH made more, they didn't need my credit history. But it may be different in your state.

LNLMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:06 PM

hmmm, do you have to go on the application with him? I know for some rental apps, they just want to know if any other adults are going to be living there but they base their decision off of whoever is going to be the primary renter

Quoting Anonymous:

It was three years ago. My credit sucks. I hit a really rough patch during that time and I am currently working on repairing it.

Quoting LNLMommy:

Quoting mlmynm81:

mlmynm81
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Alot of places will overlook an eviction 3 years and over, they are more worried about what you guys make and the current situation. Things happen and even though some owners think that one eviction is a deal breaker, there are alot more owners out there that will overlook one thats 3 years old. Goodluck!

ShannaBee
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:08 PM
I don't know for sure. We never went through getting an apartment we decided to stay where we were at.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't see why mine would matter since I am not bringing in any income and he could afford the place fine all on his own. I'm just nervous because they asked me to fill out an application too.

Quoting ShannaBee:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Thank you! :)

Quoting mlmynm81:

Alot of places will overlook an eviction 3 years and over, they are more worried about what you guys make and the current situation. Things happen and even though some owners think that one eviction is a deal breaker, there are alot more owners out there that will overlook one thats 3 years old. Goodluck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:15 PM

We have to fill out two seperate applications but he will be the primary renter.

Quoting LNLMommy:

hmmm, do you have to go on the application with him? I know for some rental apps, they just want to know if any other adults are going to be living there but they base their decision off of whoever is going to be the primary renter

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LNLMommy:

Quoting mlmynm81:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)