Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty training an autistic boy

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:47 PM
  • 13 Replies

My son is 3 and I have tried so many things to get him to use the potty. He just doesn't get the connection between his body and his brain. He has high functioning autism, but he is non-verbal. My mil said if he doesn't get potty trained soon I will look like a lazy mother.

Anyone have any suggestions to help this process along?

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamabear55
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:52 PM

BUMP

lilfishbigocean
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:55 PM

DO NOT LISTEN TO YOUR MIL. You are NOT a lazy mother!

My DD is high functioning, but is verbal. Her speech/language is awesome, but the communication isn't there. We haven't started trying yet, so I have no clue how to help. :(

Please update/PM me, when you start to figure out what works best for your DS.

The best of luck to you!

mamabear55
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:56 PM

thank you.

He is in a special ed preschool and his teachers are trained professionals and are having no better luck.

I will let you know.

Quoting lilfishbigocean:

DO NOT LISTEN TO YOUR MIL. You are NOT a lazy mother!

My DD is high functioning, but is verbal. Her speech/language is awesome, but the communication isn't there. We haven't started trying yet, so I have no clue how to help. :(

Please update/PM me, when you start to figure out what works best for your DS.

The best of luck to you!

milfanyway
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM
My high functioning son is six and a half and still has accidents. You are right there is a definite separation in body and brain. Just keep trying, but don't overwhelm him. You can do this!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ncbirdie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM

My sister had success using candy.  He got a piece of candy to get him to just sit on the potty.  As long as he would sit on the potty, he could have the candy.  It eventually changed to getting the candy for using the potty.  He's 5 now and has no potty issues.

Jenniy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:02 PM
My son was almost 4 when he was finally potty trained. I waited for him to be ready after many failed attempt of me pushing it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
irvinehiker
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I have a ds with high funtioning autism.  He was 5 when he was finally toilet trained, he's 9 now.  It certainly wasn't bc I was lazy.  I tried everything!  Toilet training was like a full time job for awhile.  My advice is to NOT PUSH him.  Let him know what needs to be done.  Be gentle, patient, and relaxed.  It may not happen for awhile and that's OK.  Don't worry about MIL.  She needs to understand with autism things are not always black and white.  

lilymomof5
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:04 PM

who cares what you look like. if people judge they can suck it. I have an autistic son and i tried every trick in the book at that age and he wouldnt do anything. he did it on his own two years later

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:13 PM

don't listen to your mil. you are not a lazy mom. most boys aren't potty til about 4. i have a sn daughter( yes took longer then her  older sister) and i have a grandson that is on the spectrum. his mommy and i started with him at 2 just taking him to sit on the potty( never force!!!) -  we did that every so often. he put him in pull ups. we just keep doing this- anytime that he went- we made a big deal. we just use simple words. we notice he was staying dry longer- we put in underwear( we let him pick them out). he is completely  done at 4. it just takes a lot of patience.

StarLight23
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I agree.. You are NOT a lazy mother.

Between the ages of 2 1/2 till almost 4 years old my son was non verbal.

He still was in diapers until 4 (well.. by then maybe it was pull-ups.. )

Though he wanted to mimic us sitting on the potty (him sitting on his little potty) he wasn't ready.

My son was eventually potty trained at nearly 4 when he spoke again.

It's when HE's ready.. not when your MIL says!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)