• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

hair dressers, advice plz

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:48 PM
  • 18 Replies

My natural color is dark brown. I have been box dying since I was 15, I'm now 25. Three years ago, I bleached it because I wanted to be a redhead. Two boxes of at hone bleaching worked fine.
Fast forward to now. I wanted to be red again so I go to Walmart, get the nice and easy born blonde bleaching kit, I bleach Sunday, I bleach Tuesday. Still patchy. I bleached again last nite and it still isn't all taking.
This is the end result. Should I bleach again or just use a darker red?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MalakbelLacuna
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Here is an idea- go to a salon. You are ruining your hair.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovelyCorrupt
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:56 PM
How much u think that would cost? My hair isnt long, just thick? Any particular salon?

Quoting MalakbelLacuna:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happehcrone
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I wouldn't go any further with the bleaching -you'll blow out the cuticle and the hair will be beyond repair. It may already be at the point that you'll need a couple inches trimmed. At this point if you're still going to do it yourself I guess I'd go with a color deep enough to blend in the darker areas although it may not be completely "even."  You may want to go with a demi as opposed to a permanent since the hair is likely already pretty damaged/stressed. I'd be a little worried about base color "grabbing" after so much bleaching - but if you've been doing this for that long, you probably have a pretty good idea of how color is going to "take" on your hair.  Might want to try a strand test before doing the whole thing just to be on the safe side.  Good luck!

MalakbelLacuna
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:58 PM
well with all the dye you have put in it, it will probably cost more than it normally would. Im guessing around 75 bucks
I cant recommend a salon, I dont live near you lol
and another thing to consider- they probably wont even touch your hair for a few weeks or its going to start breaking off.
WHy do you dye it so often?

Quoting LovelyCorrupt:

How much u think that would cost? My hair isnt long, just thick? Any particular salon?

Quoting MalakbelLacuna:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovelyCorrupt
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Thanks dear

Quoting happehcrone:

I wouldn't go any further with the bleaching -you'll blow out the cuticle and the hair will be beyond repair. It may already be at the point that you'll need a couple inches trimmed. At this point if you're still going to do it yourself I guess I'd go with a color deep enough to blend in the darker areas although it may not be completely "even."  You may want to go with a demi as opposed to a permanent since the hair is likely already pretty damaged/stressed. I'd be a little worried about base color "grabbing" after so much bleaching - but if you've been doing this for that long, you probably have a pretty good idea of how color is going to "take" on your hair.  Might want to try a strand test before doing the whole thing just to be on the safe side.  Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NickelMom5
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I agree, go to a salon. It seems like your bleaching it WAY too much! :/That's going to completely ruin your hair. I've dyed my hair for years and I regret ever dying it because it's so thin (looks thick but it's not) and it's falling out :(

babybelly25
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Oops! Hair color remover!!!! Get the extra strength stuff!! Leave it on for 45 minutes (box says 20 but 45 works best) and rinse for no less than 20!!!! You may have to do it more than once. That stuff is awesome!! It doesn't damage your hair like bleach and you can recolor right after.

happehcrone
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Corrective color isn't cheap - it was my specialty when I worked in a salon.  Nonetheless if you can afford it - be sure to get someone who specializes in color (clearly explain what you need and ask if there is someone who has experience in that).  Believe me, every licensed stylist is NOT a color expert. Another alternative is to check out beauty schools near you.  All work is done under strict supervision of the instructors.  It may take a while longer than it would at a regular salon (because instructors have to check at each stage, and students just don't work quite as quickly as experienced stylists) but the cost will be significantly less than at a salon.  If you go that way be aware that it is appropriate to tip a student who performs a service just as you would a regular stylist.

Quoting LovelyCorrupt:

Quoting MalakbelLacuna:

LovelyCorrupt
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:04 PM
75 isn't terrible.
I don't dye often but when I went from dark to light, one lightening wasn't enough. Only when I go light do I dye more than twice a month

Quoting MalakbelLacuna:

well with all the dye you have put in it, it will probably cost more than it normally would. Im guessing around 75 bucks

I cant recommend a salon, I dont live near you lol

and another thing to consider- they probably wont even touch your hair for a few weeks or its going to start breaking off.

WHy do you dye it so often?

Quoting LovelyCorrupt:

Quoting MalakbelLacuna:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Princessheika
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Your damaging your hair. That's probably why it won't take. You need to go to a salon to get it treated asap before you wake up one day bald. That is completely too much bleaching in 1 week. Would you bleach your clothes like that?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)