Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I a selfish mom; Are you?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies

My son is my one and only child. It is physically impossible and I didn't want more anyway. We make a comfortable living. Our friends and family say our son is missing out and I am selfish because he will not have siblings.

am i?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:01 PM

No, there are 10 yrs between my kids. So I guess according to them I was.

Raeann11
by Emerald Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:01 PM

No, you are doing what works for you.

thetrollcat
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:01 PM

ya know its really not up to your friend. I do think some kids grow up feeling left out of a sibling others are perfectly fine with being the only child. Id leave that up to your child as they get older, remember adoption is an option too.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:02 PM

My son, who was an only child for ten years, happily, would say you are being smart, lol, his siblings drive him crazy.

babybelly25
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Nope.. not selfish. I was an only child and I see nothing wrong with it. I am about to have baby #2 and we are stopping there. However many you decide to have is up to you!!

mariesmama
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:03 PM

i dont know the 1 kid we have has genetic joint issues and we're not sure which side they came from i'm hestant to have another knowing they may have similar issues

fraujones
1 mom liked this

Not at all. You could argue that you are being unselfish. This world is overpopulated and resources are limited. 

I have two kids but it took us years to decide if we wanted a second. 

do11face

No, not selfish.

I think it's silly when people say that.

alexsmomaubrys2

I wouldn't say you are selfish but I do feel a little sorry for your son.

I grew up an only child and was very, very lonely. =( That is the main reason DH and I decided on 2 kids, so they would at least have each other. Especially when we get older and die, they will have each other to lean on.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Im sorry.

Our son is autistic and his father and I both have mild Asperger's. We feel our son needs more attention and we don't want to risk  a child being born with a much more severe defect

Quoting mariesmama:

i dont know the 1 kid we have has genetic joint issues and we're not sure which side they came from i'm hestant to have another knowing they may have similar issues

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)