Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some advice on how to handle autistic neighbor kid.

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:42 PM
  • 16 Replies
So we have lived in our house since November and there are TONS of kids around, which I love, so my 5 yr old ds had no problem making friends. One friend he made is an 8 yr old boy and he comes over almost everyday to play. My neighbor let me know that he is autistic and a biter so to kind of watch him closely. (Her son plays with them too). I have never had any problems with him. He is a good kid and my son and him play well together.
Recently when he comes over though he comes in, says hi, then asks where my sons Nintendo DS is and will obsess about it until he finds it then will sit and play it until it's time for him to go home. This honestly wouldn't bother me that bad but he ignores everything else around him including my son and I. My son wants to go outside and play with him but he won't budge or respond. And telling him it's time to go home is hard because he doesn't listen. I have to actually take the DS from his hands to get his attention.
So how do I get through to him? How do I get him to listen to me?
He is a good kid and I don't mind him being at my house but I need him to listen. I would talk to his Mom but she's really not around much. I have only met her once. When I go to her house its usually her boyfriend who is home with the kids.

** I really don't mean to offend anyone so I am sorry in advance if I did. I am really just looking for advice.**

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mumof2boys03
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:48 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I'd ask his mother. Every child is different and she would know how to best handle the situation.

eta..since i didnt read the last sentence about the mom i would ask the boyfriend.

jadedcynic
by Nerdalicious on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:50 PM
2 moms liked this

Encourage them to play outside and tell him that the DS is broken or put up. They get obsessed with one thing and it is hard to drag them away from it. So, don't let him get that one thing in the first place.

Texascandee
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:50 PM

IDK, can you just not let him in your house?  Maybe talk to the bf........not sure but here's a bump for you

shajdinyak
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Set a timer for him and tell him when the timer goes of the ds is finished for the day. Set a playtime schedule from the start. First u will play ds til timer goes off. Second we will play outside until timer goes off, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4monkeykids
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:54 PM

If the DS is the problem, then in my house with my autistic son the DS doesn't exist anymore. I make him look at me in the eyes, and not just staring off in space which he does with great regularity. Make him repeat what you just said, and then if that doesn't work its time to go home. It's your home and if he isn't respecting you or your things then hes not welcome. Don't feel bad about sending him home. I have a set of kids that when they come over thats all they want to do, is sit and play games on my kids hand helds so one day they all disappeared. 

Mumof2boys03
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting jadedcynic:

Encourage them to play outside and tell him that the DS is broken or put up. They get obsessed with one thing and it is hard to drag them away from it. So, don't let him get that one thing in the first place.

I actually hid the DS at one point but he tore my sons room apart looking for it... Maybe I will just tell them to play outside from now on.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Tell him the DS is in the shop being repaired...........

IF he starts tearing up your house I would call his mother to come over and handle him

jamamama00
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM

LOL if you knew the answers to those questions, you'd be a millionaire! My autistic child had a Scooby Doo fixation, and if I turned it off, she would throw a fit until she vomited. Does the kid's mom know he is on the DS? I'm wondering if she lets him play @ home. I wouldn't expect too much from the kid in terms of joining your son in play. My daughter is all about the parallel play. However, every child is different, so it's very hard to say...

fairyjester
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM
I would talk to the mom or the boyfriend on best ways to redirect which is not an easy thing to do trust me.

its still a struggle for me to try to get my son on go something else or to get something done when he is obsessing
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)