Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tell the word something about autism….

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:46 PM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this

1/88 kids are diagnosed with autism and yet so many people do not know very much about it.

Post something you want the world to know about autism.  

It could be a fact, something you think is important, or something that bugs you.....

I will go first, and it is something that bugs me.

Autism can be a very serious and debilitating disorder.  It is not "Sheldon" from the Big Bang or "Abed" from Community. I think people like to latch onto the idea that autims is not that bad as then it is less scary.  However, it is not true and minimising the issues autistic children and their famiies face is  not helpful.  So - a few points:  30% of children with autism are non-verbal.  They can be  difficult to toilet train.  Many are flight risks, they drown in much higher numbers due to this.   Some have gastro and other physical issues  They often perceive pain differently and can be hurting without being able to express it in a way others can understand.  Some have melt-down and can be agressive.  Many will never live alone, unemployment issues are common even among HFA.  

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomRocs1102
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Aspergers is a social disorder, it seems easy to deal with but its not a lot of kids with aspergers cant communicate and understand things like others do.  My son has aspergers and there are communication walls between us.  We have to make sure he understands.  He is very smart in school, but if something isn't worded for his to understand he will fail example he can get something wrong on an assignment and i can read it differently and he will answer it correctly.  He is a easy target for bullies because kids with aspergers are loners because they don't communicate to make many friends.  Don't get me wrong he has kids he plays with,but he doesn't catch it when they are being mean and bullying him.  He tends to stare, wanting to speak but cant find the words,  when he is trying to explain something he tends to just back down,  he is inappropriate at times but to him he is not understanding why it is inappropriate.  Its hard to deal with because we want him to understand, but it takes time he is in the second grade now and things are still the same.  I have read that with age kids with aspergers learn how to control it better, i hope he is one of those.  I know i was just suppose to tell something about autism, but i figured using my son would help someone understand it a little better.

Join Adorable Ladies Group, where women can have free uncensored conversations, and discussions minus the bashing and drama. 

www.cafemom.com/group/118542

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Just because my son cannot speak doesn't mean he can't understand what people are saying. Think before you talk in front of him...gahhh lol
kmugs
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:06 PM

If a parent of an autistic child tells you not to do something (let go of their hand, feed them spaghetti, etc).  listen to them.  You do not know better than the parent.   I have learned this from experience.

Paranoai
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is very loving and incredibly bright despiste his sensory issues and his impulsivity. We have worked so hard to get him were he is so dont judge or tell me how I should raise him because you don't live with him.

Paranoai
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM

YES!

Quoting kmugs:

If a parent of an autistic child tells you not to do something (let go of their hand, feed them spaghetti, etc).  listen to them.  You do not know better than the parent.   I have learned this from experience.

mamabear55
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I think this all the time

Quoting Anonymous:

Just because my son cannot speak doesn't mean he can't understand what people are saying. Think before you talk in front of him...gahhh lol

kmugs
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:21 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:22 PM

that is true for every child. lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Yes but people don't think a nonverbal 9 yr old understands anything!

Quoting Anonymous:

that is true for every child. lol

Quoting Anonymous:

mom2hadley
by Jagged Edge on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM
I have a 26 year old sister that is autistic. She has never talked a day in her life. She loves to listen to music though :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)