Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should people

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 31 Replies

Be hired or fired for what is on their Facebook page. Mine is completely locked down. My name won't even show up in a search for me unless you are a friend with one of my friends. And I have nothing that could be deemed inappropriate on my page anyways. I just don't think that employers should be able to deem what is good and appropriate and what isn't. What about an employer that demands your password to your Facebook in order to hire you? Would you give it to them? How would you feel about that?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
prettymomma1204
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:32 PM
I personally think being hired or fired should depend on conduct and work ethic. I work in child care so there are many things I might do in my personal time that would not be appropriate at work. I have facebook to share pics of my kids with family so I don't see how that would be my boss' business.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wkukid
by Beach Bum on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:34 PM

I don't think that's legal. They shouldn't be able to ask for a password to anything personal.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I agree. If I went out and had a beer one night with friends and they post a pic of me with beer in hand on my wall, why should that deny me a job. I never drink at work, nor have I ever came to work drunk.

Quoting prettymomma1204:

I personally think being hired or fired should depend on conduct and work ethic. I work in child care so there are many things I might do in my personal time that would not be appropriate at work. I have facebook to share pics of the kids with family so I don't see how that would be my boss' business.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I think it depends on what your job is. Like the teacher that was posting half naked picture and smoking joints and partying then putting it on her public facebook page, I think that is a big no no. Or if you work in a drug free employer and post pics of you taking bong hits, again a big no no.

model1000mom
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:42 PM

No. Personal lives outside of employment should stay that way. If a potential employer asks me for anything like a FB or twitter or blogger account information I will tell them I dont have one. They can search my name all day long because they wont find it LOL and my FB is not private at all. It is 100% public. 

LNLMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:43 PM

It's very legal. Many companies will google you before they even choose to interview you. I personally don't do that when it comes to making a hiring decision, but many do.

OP-it comes down to how that employee is going to represent your company. If you are a teacher or something, and your FB profile picture is a pic of you half naked and your photos show you engaged in inappropriate behavior, I don't think parents would want you teaching their children. Especially considering the fact that if I can find it, kids will be able to find it.

Quoting wkukid:

I don't think that's legal. They shouldn't be able to ask for a password to anything personal.

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:46 PM

So if its legal to ask for passwords they should start asking for bank numbers to see who really needs the job. There has to be a line drawn somewhere in a persons personal life. I would just lie and say I didn't have a fb if mine was that closed off that no one could search me.

Quoting LNLMommy:

It's very legal. Many companies will google you before they even choose to interview you. I personally don't do that when it comes to making a hiring decision, but many do.

OP-it comes down to how that employee is going to represent your company. If you are a teacher or something, and your FB profile picture is a pic of you half naked and your photos show you engaged in inappropriate behavior, I don't think parents would want you teaching their children. Especially considering the fact that if I can find it, kids will be able to find it.

Quoting wkukid:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:48 PM

No!

Personal time is just that, personal time!

They should not be demanding passwords of any kind for anything!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:49 PM

It is legal to search someone, I don't think it is legal to try & get someone's personal passwords.

Quoting LNLMommy:

Quoting wkukid:

LNLMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I don't think I explained it right-no, an employer can't ask for you personal password and log into your account. That is highly illegal but an employer can google your name and look at any social media pages that belong to you. It's public when you put it on those websites. That's why the privacy settings are your friends. But certain things, such as criminal records or any stories written about you in a newspaper are not subject to any sort of privacy. Trust me, I've googled myself and found an article on an incident that happened almost 6 years ago

Quoting wkukid:

So if its legal to ask for passwords they should start asking for bank numbers to see who really needs the job. There has to be a line drawn somewhere in a persons personal life. I would just lie and say I didn't have a fb if mine was that closed off that no one could search me.

Quoting LNLMommy:

Quoting wkukid:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)