Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! Am I a Bad Mom?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies
My doon to be four year old has been nothing but trouble the last week. Stealing money from me, breaking into the pantry and getting into candy, backtalking, and just not listening.
His birthday party is Sunday. Is he old enough for me to use cancelling his party as a punishment?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
stormystar15
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:33 PM
I wouldnt. Taking his fun things away for a few days should be good enough.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:34 PM

iI personally would not cancel her bday party it self because birthdays only come once a year.  After party is said and done i'd take away some of her best prized possessions until she acts like she should!  Then gradually give it back one at a time for good behavior.

momsince04
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Mine is 8 and I did cancel his party, but I warned him numerous times. I don't know about a 4 yr old tho. Don't say you will and then not do it. That's where I messed up, my kids never took my threats seriously.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momma-t42
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I'm not sure that is an appropriate punishment for all of that.  He's young enough to learn how to manipulate if you use that harsh of a consequence.  I don't even understand how a 4 year old KNOWS how to "steal".  Is he just snooping through your purse and therefore taking money out?  Teach him  how to respect personal things.  Such as a toy box he has and find out what is his favorite toy, where does he keep it?  Those are things you teach a 4 year old.

If you accuse him of being a thief at 4, he'll be a thief.  Turn the conversation into a positive one.  ALWAYS use positive words.  Such as, "are you telling me the truth?"  Instead of "are you lying to me?"  See the difference?  

"Did you ask mommy if you could go through my purse?"  Instead of, "Why did you take my money out of my purse?"    You are the main source of the cognitive thinking he will have just by how you phrase things to him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Thanks. I am just at my wits end with him
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)