Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mothers that Diet and have Daughters..

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:10 PM
  • 36 Replies

I see all the time on here women that are going on diets, some are pretty extreme too.

I have a question for those ladies who diet that have daughters.

Do you diet in front of your daughters?

Do you obsess over your weight?

Do you talk about being skinny?

Do you think this is damaging to your daughters?

7-Year-Old's Diet List: Mom Amy Cheney Finds Daughter's Weight-Loss Notes

The Huffington Post  |  By Katherine Bindley Posted:   |  Updated: 03/08/2013 2:35 pm EST

Share on Google+
Diet Note
Mother Amy Cheney found her 7-year-old daughter's diet list, which included acceptable foods and an exercise regimen. (Stock image)

An Australian mother discovered a heartbreaking, handwritten note lying on the floor of her daughter's room: the 7-year-old's "diyet" list.

"I felt sick. Physically ill. Like someone had knocked the air from my chest," Amy Cheney wrote on the website Mamamia.

Cheney said she found the diet list alongside her daughter's Polly Pockets and friendship bracelets, but it is the girl's spelling that poignantly highlights just how young she is.

Among the foods the girl was allowing herself to eat were:

- "appals"
-"keewee"
-"yoget"

The exercises on the list included:

-"pooshups"
-"16 star jumps 2 time a day"
-"rid my bike 3 time a day"

In her post, Cheney noted her daughter said she had learned about dieting from a 7-year-old friend.

Though a 7-year-old conceiving of her own diet might sound unusual, a 2009 study from the University of Florida found that of 121 girls aged 3 through 6, nearly half admitted they worry about being fat.

A recent study from Texas A & M also suggests that Cheney's daughter's decision to take up a diet after hearing about it from a friend isn't altogether surprising. Researchers found that peer competition may contribute more significantly to adolescents adopting negative perceptions about their bodies than the media does.

There are also rare cases of children showing signs of anorexia as early as kindergarten. ABC News recently recounted a story about a kindergartner who confessed to her mother that she was always hungry.

"Mommy, I have a problem … I am hungry all the time and I can't eat," the girl reportedly told her mother, according to ABC News. "A voice in my head is telling me not to eat."

Still, the cultural resistance to children worrying about their weight seems to remain strong. For example, after mom Dara-Lynn Weiss wrote a piece for Vogue about putting her 7-year-old on a diet, the backlash was fierce, to say the least.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:11 PM

BUMP!

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

I see all the time on here women that are going on diets, some are pretty extreme too.

I have a question for those ladies who diet that have daughters.

Do you diet in front of your daughters? No. I don't diet anymore.

Do you obsess over your weight? No. I am happy at my weight.

Do you talk about being skinny? Not anymore.

Do you think this is damaging to your daughters? I think that it would negatively affect my daughter if she were to see me obsess over my weight. Instead we try to live a healthy lifestyle and teach them how to be healthy.

Schleetle
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Well I don't do any extreme fab diet... I eat a healthy plant based diet, and exercise 6 days a week. My daughter is just a toddler, but I teach all my kids that eating healthy, and being active is important. My mom had issues with food mainly binge eating, and hiding food. It is very confusing to understand that as a kid. I remember feeling weird about it thinking why is eating something to hide? I don't want my children to feel that way so I think I am pretty aware of how that kind of thing can come off.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Quoting Schleetle:

Well I don't do any extreme fab diet... I eat a healthy plant based diet, and exercise 6 days a week. My daughter is just a toddler, but I teach all my kids that eating healthy, and being actove is important. My mom had issues with food mainly binge eating, and hiding food. It is very confusing to understand that as a kid. I remember feeling weird about it thinking why is eating something to hide? I don't want my children to feel that way so I think I am pretty aware of how that kind of thing can come off.

It is great to teach them to be healthy. I am more talking about those mothers that diet to the extreme.

HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:15 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't 'diet', but we eat healthy. Snacks are fruits and veggies. Sometimes it's cucumber with lime and salt, or carrot sticks, or orange wedges and banana slices.

My mom always called me 'husky' or 'chubby', I hated myself for it. I look back at pictures of when I was a kid, and I was a twig! Yet, I always saw myself as fat. I'm not doing that to my child, I call her beautiful, smart, pretty, and silly. And kitten, she likes being called kitten.

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Quoting HistoryNutty:

I don't 'diet', but we eat healthy. Snacks are fruits and veggies. Sometimes it's cucumber with lime and salt, or carrot sticks, or orange wedges and banana slices.

My mom always called me 'husky' or 'chubby', I hated myself for it. I look back at pictures of when I was a kid, and I was a twig! Yet, I always saw myself as fat. I'm not doing that to my child, I call her beautiful, smart, pretty, and silly. And kitten, she likes being called kitten.

Yeah. I always obsessed over my weight growing up and I didn't hit 100lbs until my Junior year in high school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:16 PM
I fear this with my dd because she is always asking if what she/ we eat is healthy. My husband and I eat very healthy and encourage and raise our children to do the same. We educate her but she seems to have my dhs obsessive personality already at four!
EvilAsh
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Ive been dieting because I gained a LOT of weight from my thyroid being out of whack for years. 

I say things like, don't get fat like mommy, it's not fun. Jokingly, and they know this.

i'm not doing anything extreme, just eating healthier and counting calories and exercising. 

Damaging to my kids? To have a good, healthy diet and incorporate exercise into their days? No. Hardly damaging.

boshs1andonly
1 mom liked this
Diets are too restrictive so they don't stick.I focus on what I should do more of : exercise, eat more veggie and whole grains. I figure in the process I cut out a lot of the bad stuff. I have always had weight and self image issues I really don't want dd to have them too
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2

Quoting Anonymous:

I fear this with my dd because she is always asking if what she/ we eat is healthy. My husband and I eat very healthy and encourage and raise our children to do the same. We educate her but she seems to have my dhs obsessive personality already at four!

Yeah. I would be scared too. Just keep reassuring her that she is beautiful!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)