Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rh- blood

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies
Will my body reject my baby since I have this type blood?

What exactly is wrong having Rh- blood?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nursiepooLPN
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Rh- means that if your baby has rh+ your immune system can be sensitized to the rh+. In future pregnancies your immune system will attack the red blood cells of that fetus. This can cause anemia, brain damage, miscarriage....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Maevelyn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:37 PM

they give you something to protect the baby but depending on the dad's blood type it might not be a problem anyway. 

mich.el.le
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Quoting nursiepooLPN:

Rh- means that if your baby has rh+ your immune system can be sensitized to the rh+. In future pregnancies your immune system will attack the red blood cells of that fetus. This can cause anemia, brain damage, miscarriage....

This. Op, do you know the father's blood type?

mtdew
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Is this your first child?  No, your body will not reject the baby.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with having Rh- blood.  If your child is Rh+ the doc will give you a Rhogam (sp?) shot after the baby is born so it is safe for you to have another pregnancy. 

Yurixsi
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this
If you do have rh- and are preg. They give you a shot rhogam at around 28 weeks and when the baby is born. I have had to have it I am rh-...
Katie6382
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:39 PM
I had 3 healthy babies after a miscarriage. They will just give you a rhogam shot after you have a baby and in the beginning of the next pregnancy
LucyHarper
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Is this your first child? What blood type is your husband? You are only at risk if you have had a past child who was Rh+ and this child is Rh+, and that can easily be fixed with a shot so that wont happen. When you are Rh- and you carry and give birth to an Rh+ child, very small amounts of blood are sometimes passed between mother and child. The first pregnancy is safe, because the mother has yet to build up a sensitization against it. But once that baby is born, the mothers body makes antibodies that identify Rh+ blood cells as an enemy. If the mother gets pregnant again and that baby is also Rh+, the antibodies can cross the placenta and destroy the fetuses blood cells, causing a miscarriage, stillbirth, or various health issues. But, if the doctor knows that the mother is Rh- and had a previous Rh+ child, they can give her a shot which protects the baby, so its not a problem.

mom-2-4boys
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:41 PM

If you have RH- and the father has RH+ you need to have a Rhogam (I believe it is called) mid way through the pregnancy and 1 after delivery if the baby has RH+ blood to protect you from building antiboties for future pregnancies as well as if you were to ever need a blood transfusion. (at least that was how it was explained to me)

nursiepooLPN
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Even if dad is negative the baby's blood can be positive.

-+ -+

- -
-+
+-
++

MrS.GiFFord
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:44 PM
I am rh- and my hubby is positive so I get the Rhogam shot at 28 weeks and again after birth. No big deal.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)