Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"They're My Blood"...so no rules apply??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies

I have a question.  Has anyone ever known someone that did something terrible, or needed a serious consequence; but either you, or your spouse , etc refused to give it to them because that person was "their blood"?

for example, let's just say you have someone living with you that is completely disrespectful of you and your home and the people living there.  We'll make this person your brother for arguments sake.  This person won't help around the house, does things that are unacceptable in a home with children like drugs, etc.  Let's make them a complete slob, and for added measure they come and go as they please with complete disregard to the rest of the family.  Let's even go so far as to say they have stolen from your spouse or something along those lines.  

Now, I'm assuming here that living with someone like this would cause a lot of problems in a relationship and make living with and coming home to this miserable.

Now, at some point do you kick your brother out?  Or does he get to stay with you indefinitely and unconditionally because he is your "blood"? Your "cross to bear"...  Ultimately, where should priorities lay?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
skittlebeans88
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:40 PM
He would be gone
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Kick your brother in law out of your house and be done with it
AngryBob
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

my kids are "my blood", and they are top of the priority list. blood doesn't give a person a free pass to be a total asshole.

Mrs.Vallo
by Sylvia on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Kick your brother in law out of your house and be done with it

Follow Me on Pinterest

KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:42 PM

The priorities lie with my children.

Brother goes.

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:43 PM

just a fictional situation.  But for a long while my husband would give me that excuse for why he wouldn't make his son accountable for the things he did.  He would really only say that when he had been drinking, and have a different perspective when he was sober.  I have just heard that kind of thing from other people and I, personally, don't agree with it.  

young_lv_mom
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:44 PM
3 moms liked this

I look at it this way, you being blood is why I gave you a chance to live here, you being a dick is why you are getting kicked out.

AHmom103
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Honestly, blood doesn't mean much in my book. But my husband didn't grow up the way I did. For him, blood ties are important. So, when his grandma started acting like a complete freaking lunatic, it took years before he finally believed that yes, she's really that bad, and pretty much cut her off.

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:46 PM

My husband and I let his twin brother stay with us for awhile after he got out of the Army.  Really, it sounded like you were describin him!

And yes, we kicked him out.

Rhodin
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I'd kick him out.  You may have to serve him with an eviction notice, which would give him either 2 weeks or a month to find a new relative to sponge off of.  Hypothetically.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)