Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I do think breastmilk is better...did I cross a line here?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:52 PM
  • 12 Replies
My aunt is pregnant-due in May. I brought up breastfeeding today as I was emailing with her & she said she cant because of a medication she is on for a heart condition. I said I was sorry she wouldnt get the opportunity but that I was happy her baby is doing well. She told me she only considered it because her husband wants it since he thinks it is healthier. But she is comfortable with her choice & is sick of "breastfeeding nazis" judging her for not being able to. Then she acted upset and said she was going to take a bath.
Without thinking about it I offered her some of my pumped milk saying if she wanted it so the baby would at least get some for the antibodies and health benefits I would be happy to share. Now I am questioning how another mom would take that...am I being a pushy breasfeeding nazi and making her feel worse or was it nice of me to offer?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:54 PM
it was nice to offer but isent it better for HER baby to have HER breastmilk?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:55 PM
Idk if it makes you a nazi, but I would find it slightly annoying. Personally, I think giving other peoples breastmilk to a baby is gross, and would definitely turn you down, but to each their own. I just wouldnt mention it again unless she brings it up.
mtdew
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I would think that is weird if someone asked me that. 

mcclainprincess
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:57 PM
I think it was innocent.of you to offer, but some women who cannot breastfeed are upset about it.. So it is possible that your offer was like rubbing salt in the wound. :-(
kiralyn
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:57 PM
It's nice of you.

If she is offended by that its her own issue, not because you're being rude. It's a really sweet offer.
JsMommy1003
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I personally think you crossed a line....That is Not your child and if she already stated that she is comfortable with her decision then I don't think it was your place to offer even though you were just trying to be nice.

April620
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Idk if it makes you a nazi, but I would find it slightly annoying. Personally, I think giving other peoples breastmilk to a baby is gross, and would definitely turn you down, but to each their own. I just wouldnt mention it again unless she brings it up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:59 PM

its nice of you to offer. but as a mother who wasn't able to breastfeed due to medical reasons here, I wouldn't be offended or anything. I would appreciate the offer. but I was devastated that I couldn't breastfeed my babies and often got jealous of those who could. chances are she prob she prob is a little upset that she can't and just needs time to think about it. but leave it at that. don't push it or mention it again unless she brings it up.

audreesmama
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:00 PM
Yep

Quoting kiralyn:

It's nice of you.

If she is offended by that its her own issue, not because you're being rude. It's a really sweet offer.

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:01 PM
I don't get why people think its gross...havnt you guys heard of a "nurse maid"? That's how kids survived before formula if the mother had let down problems. Nothing gross about it. I thought that was very generous of you. Who knows how she will take it. It was still very nice and generous.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured