Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need advice!! Has anyone done this??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies

SO and I are paying for our own wedding. We have a really small budget. I found my dream wedding dress that costs WAY more than we can afford. While browsing ebay, I found a company overseas who makes knockoff wedding gowns for about 70-90% off. I know it isn't going to be perfect, but the reviews aren't half bad. Has anyone else bought their wedding dress from a site like this?? Were you happy with it? Honesty please!!!

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kodysmommy928
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:59 PM

I wouldn't dare do it.  A wedding dress is too important.  Buy the gown or look for something else similar.  Have you tried on your dream gown yet?  I can help you find something in the same silhouette for a better price.

Sarafinn2012
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:59 PM

I got my wedding dress from a clearance rack from prom. I paid like $25 for it! :) Sorry, no advice from ordering online. :/

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I'm not going to try on dresses until next month. I'm not set with the one I found but I definitely want something like it. I'm looking for a lace A line with a low back. We really can't afford for me to buy any of the ones I've liked so far.. We're trying to save for a down payment on a house, a new car, and paying for the wedding ourselves. Trying to plan a wedding for 120 people for under 5000 hasn't been easy  

Quoting Kodysmommy928:

I wouldn't dare do it.  A wedding dress is too important.  Buy the gown or look for something else similar.  Have you tried on your dream gown yet?  I can help you find something in the same silhouette for a better price.

autummayline
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't buy anything as important as a wedding dress without seeing it in person and trying it on first

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:06 PM

The dress I was going to buy is pretty much an exact replica of the designer dress I want. Just a knockoff. I know it won't be as well made, but $200 compared to $2500 might be worth it. 

Quoting autummayline:

I wouldn't buy anything as important as a wedding dress without seeing it in person and trying it on first

autummayline
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:13 PM

It might look like an exact replica in pictures, but you never know until you recieve it and try it on... I know my heart would be broken if I ordered it and it didn't fit or look right. And.. yes that is a HUGE difference, and I can understand needing to save money (me and df are paying for own wedding and we have no idea how we'll save up the money for it), but I would look around at more stores and maybe try on some more before I bought it

Quoting Anonymous:

The dress I was going to buy is pretty much an exact replica of the designer dress I want. Just a knockoff. I know it won't be as well made, but $200 compared to $2500 might be worth it. 

Quoting autummayline:

Armadillo79
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:20 PM

My "Dream" wedding dress looked AWESOME in pics but HORRIBLE on. I would not order anytihng online!

SpnFulOfSugar
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:21 PM
No way in hell
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I would probably do it... if the price is right.. 

KrissyKC
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this

My only thought about buying a cheap knock off gown is to make sure the hemming is good enough not to "pop" during your vows or anything.

EDIT:   That being said, our wedding was casual (and cheap)... so we bought a white prom dress, it was long and satiny with straps and a silver inlaid lace jacket.   It looked wedding enough for us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)