Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's your limit?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:30 PM
  • 40 Replies
My fiancé and I were discussing joint accounts and how much we were allowed to spend without consulting each other, aside from things like bills and groceries, and he said thinks 30 bucks is a good limit.

I want it to be higher though any amount is going to be an adjustment for me. I've had my own bank account since I was 13 and I've never had to consult anyone before I spent money.

This conversation stemmed from me spending 80 bucks on a blanket that he didn't think I should have bought.

So what's your limit? What amount can you spend before you have to consult your SO?

----
Edit, we still have separate accounts at the moment, we haven't gotten around to opening a joint account.

The blanket is a want, but it's something I've wanted for 6 months and I used my tax return for it....money that's totally mine.

We will keep separate accounts for a few years but once we move to Korea I won't be able to work so it would be pointless to keep separate accounts at that time, but once we come back to the states ill get a job and we will each have our own account and a joint account.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NoahandEliza
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:31 PM
$30? Shit, I'd have to be buying a car before I consulted with anyone!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Josie_P
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:31 PM
We have separate accounts. We don't have to consult each other. I mean, sometimes we tell each other "Hey, wanna know what I bought today?" but that's about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:32 PM
KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:32 PM
If its over 100 we do talk about it before buying something.
monkeypickle
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:33 PM
We have agreed on $40. And any atm withdrawals.
mylifemylove864
by Emerald Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Our limit is like 50. But more for him than me because anytime I ask him he says to get it if I think its a good idea. He on the other hand is an impulse buyer and this makes him think and talk to me before he just ups and buys it.
FoxFire363
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:33 PM

100 bucks unless things are really tight. 

kryptomom
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:34 PM

$1,000.

$80 for a blanket?

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Obviously, it depends on income.

Used to be, back in the day, it was $50.  Which was actually kind of high, since our income was low.  Then it $200.  Now, I don't know.  I haven't reached it, and neither has he.  A few thousand, I guess?

But more important than the limit, is WHAT you're spending it on.  Do you already have other blankets, and it's not needed?  We're pretty good now (after 25 years) of knowing what the other person will complain about.  If either of us go out to eat -no problem.  If I buy clothes - no problem.  If I buy MORE fabric and patterns - he'll ask me why (because I already have a lot).  If he buys bike equipment, I don't say anything.  If he buys MORE bike clothes (since he has 4 large rubbermaid containers of them), yeah, I'll say something.

anjones09
by Ash on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Same here.

Quoting KelliansMom:

If its over 100 we do talk about it before buying something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)