• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My mother-in-law has been stealing from me

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 2 Replies
1 mom liked this
My husband is nearly 5 months into a 6 month sentence in county jail so I have been living alone. He will be home in 7 weeks. My mil comes to my apartment for a couple days a week to help me out and visit the kids. The other day when she was leaving, I noticed a bottle of nighttime baby lotion sticking out of her bag. I gave her the benefit of the doubt, it may have been hers. A couple days later I was looking for my bottle of baby lotion and it was gone. I have only been living here for two months so there are a few things that are still packed that I'm not using. Like my husband's shower stuff. I keep it in a bag at the top of my shelves in the bathroom. I was looking in the bag and his shower pouf is gone. I noticed that two of my measuring cups are also missing. I'm so hurt and confused. Why the hell would she steal from me? The things she has taken are replaceable, but it's the principle of the matter. She hasn't been back and I haven't said anything yet. I visited my husband today so I told him about it. He doesn't get it either. I'm going to tell her at some point that it may be best that she doesn't come spend the night for awhile and maybe sit her down and discuss it when my husband comes home. I'm so upset. How can I trust her again?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
klc3ofme
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like she might be a kleptomaniac cause the stuff gone is weird stuff for someone to take
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Thats what I thought. I asked my husband and one sister in law and neither of them have known her to do this. My guess is that she would have taken from one of them before but she hasn't and neither of them know why she would now. I wonder if kleptomania can manifest later in life. I wish I understood but I can't believe it. We have always had a good relationship, I never would have imagined her doing that to me. I can replace the stuff she took but not the trust

Quoting klc3ofme:

Sounds like she might be a kleptomaniac cause the stuff gone is weird stuff for someone to take

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)