• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you think twins happen? Genetics? Just a random thing?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 43 Replies

I had single, single, fraternal twins and now I'm pregnant with just one again. I often wonder what my chances would be of having twins again. I obviously don't ALWAYS release 2 eggs because I've had 3 single pregnancies... maybe 4 because I had an early miscarriage and it was too early to tell how many with that one. So I wonder if it was just a random fluke and my body just screwed up that cycle and released 2 eggs....? It will probably never happen again but ever since I had the twins, I have always worried about the possibility of having them again. I was on pins and needles waiting for my first ultrasound with this pregnancy. lol

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kitsun
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Genetics. Thankfully twins run in my family but not dh's. I'd love to have twins, but I'd be scared the whole time I was carrying them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IAMmomtotrips
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:29 PM
I have spontaneous triplets and in my case it's just a freak of nature...and mine are identical so no releasing of two eggs.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IAMmomtotrips
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:29 PM
I have spontaneous triplets and in my case it's just a freak of nature...and mine are identical so no releasing of two eggs.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CuriousArentYa
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Studies have shown that after having twins your chances for twins again greatly increase. Because of this and because we did not want anymore children dh got a vasectomy right after our twins were born. Twins run in my family (although I did not know it).

robibuni
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:30 PM

They can be genetic or spontaneous.

If genetic, it has to be on the mother's side.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Wow!

Quoting IAMmomtotrips:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:33 PM

That's what I heard but when I asked my doctor about it she said that having twins doesn't increase your odds of having them again. Maybe she was just telling me what I wanted to hear. lol

Quoting CuriousArentYa:

Studies have shown that after having twins your chances for twins again greatly increase. Because of this and because we did not want anymore children dh got a vasectomy right after our twins were born. Twins run in my family (although I did not know it).

CuriousArentYa
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Yeah, I have always believed for every study you find, you could easily find another study that contradicts the original study lol. I just know we weren't taking ANY chances lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's what I heard but when I asked my doctor about it she said that having twins doesn't increase your odds of having them again. Maybe she was just telling me what I wanted to hear. lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:04 PM

bump

Mama_Emerson1
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I am pregnant with triplets and mine are spontaneous

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)