• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you fight in front of your kids?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:29 PM
  • 13 Replies
I think it's healthy for kids to see that things aren't all flowers and sunshine..... If we are really getting into it we will leave the room but I see nothing wrong with having a "heated debate" in front of the kids
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jaytee
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:31 PM
My DH and I really don't fight very often. I do agree that as long as it's not an "ugly" fight it's okay to fight in front of the kiddos.
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I think it teaches them that you can fight, argue and disagree - and still love each other.

My parents fought all the time, but never in front of us, and way too late, they got divorced.  Made me grow up thinking if I ever fought with my spouse, that was the end of the marriage.  Took me years to get over that.

ambcortez
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this

DH and I rarely fight, but when we do have an argument, it's not bad enough to be hidden from the kids.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Of course we do, life is not a fairy tale and the philosophy that shields children from reality is more than likely the reason that so many people cannot handle problems in marriage when they come up. 

MojoRising
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Fight? Absolutely not. Disagree? Sure.
ChelseySpelsey
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Yep lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thetrollcat
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:36 PM

sometimes it depends on the topic being fought.

robibuni
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:37 PM

DH and I don't fight often...do we argue in front of the kids? Sure...not really raising our voice or anything, but I think it's healthy to see that sometimes grown ups don't agree, and that's fine!

Nynnie
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:40 PM
DF and I don't really fight. We have learned, that u should always be respectful to ur SO. We disagree, and may have to talk out the disagreement, but we don't fight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Depends on what you mean by fight. We "fight" in front of our kids in a healthy way, just talking back and forth discussing an issue, giving them an example on how to work out your problems. But we don't yell at each other or insult each other, especially not in front of the kids. The few times that we have gotten too heated and yelled at each other I am ashamed of and wouldn't want my kids to see. I don't consider what we do in front of the kids to really be fighting or heated, just a discussion over contrasting ideas.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)