Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Not A TV In The House

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:11 PM
  • 87 Replies
How many people here don't have a tv?

We haven't had a tv for almost a year. I've been married for 15 years and about half that time we've gone without a tv. Why? Well, it's a funny story.

Back around 2002 or 2003 I came home from work. At that time DH was a sahd and I was working a travel agent job. I walked in, and the tv was gone. Ok. Strange.

Me: Hey hubby, wheres the tv?

Him: In the garage.

Me: Why?

Him: I was watching Oprah today (LMAO) and they were talking about how much happier families were without a tv. So I thought we'd try it out.

So we tried it. It was true too. We've ended up with different tvs a few times over the years. Family will get a new one and give us the old one. We keep it for a while, then give it to friends. I hate how the television turns people into zombies. I hate the unnecessary noise. I hate the junk they show. I hate the negative influence.

So. We have no tv. Right now we have no radio either, which is driving me nuts. The speakers blew on our last one (I guess we played our music a little too loud). I do miss talk radio. I liked Alex Jones, Matt Drudge (is he even on anymore?), and local radio hosts. I love listening to music. Gotta get a new sterio.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:12 PM

I'd give up my TV before my music too! 

gigis1
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:14 PM

we always had tv but as soon as we move out by fall, I don't want to own one, I never watch anything but the occaional spongebob

jillbailey26
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:15 PM
3 moms liked this

Hmm.  We're watching AFV right now and laughing together and talking about the videos.  Not zombie-like at all.  

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

AleaKat
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:15 PM
2 moms liked this
No true blood?
No family pizza movie night?

We are big movie buffs its what brings us together.

That's the only date night hubby and I get is cuddling on the couch with a good movie and laughing together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovin_being_mom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't. We got rid of it after our first year of marriage. Neither of us grew up with tv's in our house and we wanted the same for our kids.

GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:16 PM
I would die without my shows!
xanayda
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:16 PM
We've gone without tv for a few hours a day and it was always good but some how we always end up going back to always having the tv on... :( It's always on some sort of educational cartoon like blues clues or dora so i guess it could be worse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Miller0305
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I would DIE lol.  But glad it works for you!  I love cuddling up on the couch watching a movie with my kids.

tennisgal
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this

same here.we are a better family without it. we do get netflix and watch it on the computer sometimes though.

imakehimscream
by He screams on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:18 PM
Im watching tv right now. We also have a tv in my bedroom. I couldn't live without it
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)