Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

who gets the tax refund? ETA

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 32 Replies
Ok so my DD's father and I aren't together. She lives in my house and he has visitation of every other weekend and one overnight during the week. I worked from march of 2012-march of 2013. I had to leave my job for personal reasons. My question is who gets to claim DD on their tax refund? Me or him? I feel like I'm entitled to it and of course he thinks he is. He seems to forget that I cut him a major break on his CS payments and that he is still employed. I need the money more then he does now that I have no income. Idk if I'm going to be able to get disability yet and don't know when I'll get a new job bc I can't predict the future nor force anyone to hire me where I apply. Needless to say I'm pretty damn pissed off right now.

Eta: There is no court ordered custody agreement. He gets that visitation bc we agreed on it outside of court. The only thing that's court ordered is CS. So technically I have 100% custody.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JNLmomme09
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:16 PM
If say whoever files first. I don't know how it works if you share joint custody.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Spoiled_Blonde
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:16 PM
I'm not positive but I think to claim a child they have to live with you over 50% of the time. So that would mean you get to claim her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:16 PM

You do, regardless of needing the money.  You have 50%+ custody.

elliotmommytobe
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:17 PM
File quickly and if hes employed and not paying what hes supposed to in cs wont it come out of his refund?
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:17 PM

It is supposed to alternate years.  So one year you, next year him etc.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:18 PM
There is no court ordered custody agreement. He gets that visitation bc we agreed on it outside of court. The only thing that's court ordered is CS. So technically I have 100% custody.
rennez
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:19 PM
We have it written into the divorce decree
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StephMosDef
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Unless its in an agreement, the custodial parent claims the child. OR the parent with whom the child resides more than 50% of the year with.

Tea4Tas
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:22 PM

UNLESS there is a court order that says he gets to claim her-YOU ALWAYS get the right to do so. In fact he needs a form from you if he wants to claim her.

I will find you the law.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Thank you!

Quoting Tea4Tas:

UNLESS there is a court order that says he gets to claim her-YOU ALWAYS get the right to do so. In fact he needs a form from you if he wants to claim her.

I will find you the law.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)