Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much do you pay for your childrens glasses?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:34 PM
  • 19 Replies
Today I took my almost 5 year old daughter to have an eye exam and we found out she needs glasses. The frames the insurance covers sucked bad and she is going to be starting school next year so I paid outta pocket to get her good ones. Is $120 a lot to pay for frames? I have never had glasses or dealt with them so I honestly have no clue what frames go for I just know I didn't want her getting picked on at school.
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:36 PM

$325 for my son's most recent pair.

I got him the Adidas flex frames since he plays sports. His other glasses were between $150-$225, depending on the brand and extras (I get scratch resistant and anti reflective lenses etc.).

poohsybear
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Quoting Randi02:

$325 for my son's most recent pair.

I got him the Adidas flex frames since he plays sports. His other glasses were between $150-$225, depending on the brand and extras (I get scratch resistant and anti reflective lenses etc.).

Good that means I didn't get totally ripped off.
Cynthje
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Insurance would pay for most of it if needed, they cover about $150 for a frame and the cost of lenses depends on what you want but they cover standard scratch resistant ones 100%

mommy0f2g1b
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I paid about 150 with insurance for my daughters last pair and they are basic frames  with polycarbonate lenses and anti glare.

poohsybear
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:41 PM
Quoting Cynthje:

Insurance would pay for most of it if needed, they cover about $150 for a frame and the cost of lenses depends on what you want but they cover standard scratch resistant ones 100%

The insurance covered lenses but the frames they covered were crap and look horrible. I would rather spend a little bit of money and get her nice looking ones than have her looking like a freak.
angel_peanut
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:41 PM
We just paid 200 for my daughters and also 200 for my stepsons (his were 400 DH and BM split the cost) . So I'd say you got a good deal :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:43 PM
I think they were $250 or so. We went to the eye doctor's as a family and I think it ended up running us about $1000!
Cynthje
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I agree, here its a certain amount that you can spend so we chose our own frames. my kids have great eyes but my husband gets his paid by insurance with the same system and he has very nice glasses! For arround $150 you can get nice frames here. his sun shades are raybans so we had to pay a little bit out of pocket on top of what insurance covered but its worth it

Quoting poohsybear:

Quoting Cynthje:

The insurance covered lenses but the frames they covered were crap and look horrible. I would rather spend a little bit of money and get her nice looking ones than have her looking like a freak.

Throughout the world, there exists a group of women who feel mightily drawn to giving care to women in childbirth. At the same time maternal and independent, responsive to a mother's needs, yet accepting full responsibility as her attendant; such women are natural midwives. Without the presence and acceptance of the midwife, obstetrics becomes aggressive, technical, and inhuman.

Professor G.J. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:46 PM

My child doesn't need glasses. If he did though, it would cost me nothing...Our church has a program that covers the cost.

Pink.Sunshine
by Petty Princess on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:48 PM

I don't ever pay more than $30 and that's for good frames from zennioptical.com. I love this website I swear. I found out about it from this lady on Youtube and I've been hooked ever since. Good quality frames that are inexpensive

Zennioptical.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)