Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lexapro for a 7 yr old?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:13 PM
  • 25 Replies

my sons pyscharist prescribed him lexapro with his strattera. he has add and we are thinking with depression. both run in my family

so have any of you ladies have children that tried lexapro? cons and pros???

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
silverdawn99
by Jamie on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:18 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:19 PM
I have been on lexipro for 2 months. It was I think 10mg. I took it at night same time every night. It worked for my depression ( fertility issues related) however the only thing I will say is I started feeling really dependent. All of a sudden like it was like I couldn't wait to take the pill. I felt like I was having withdrawals or something close to that.

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:28 PM

they gave us a long list to look for but i like hearing first hand experineces

Quoting Anonymous:

I have been on lexipro for 2 months. It was I think 10mg. I took it at night same time every night. It worked for my depression ( fertility issues related) however the only thing I will say is I started feeling really dependent. All of a sudden like it was like I couldn't wait to take the pill. I felt like I was having withdrawals or something close to that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:30 PM
? I'm sorry I don't understand a long list if what anti depressants ?

Quoting silverdawn99:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Just know getting off of it is HELL! Have you researched another type that has been around longer? Lexapro is still relatively new. As a person who swore by lexapro for many years I would be very leery about giving it to a child. Lexapro is usually given to those with anxiety issues coupled with depression. Does your child also have anxiety?
silverdawn99
by Jamie on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Yes he does

Quoting Anonymous:

Just know getting off of it is HELL! Have you researched another type that has been around longer? Lexapro is still relatively new. As a person who swore by lexapro for many years I would be very leery about giving it to a child. Lexapro is usually given to those with anxiety issues coupled with depression. Does your child also have anxiety?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
silverdawn99
by Jamie on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:58 PM
The side effects of it

Quoting Anonymous:

? I'm sorry I don't understand a long list if what anti depressants ?

Quoting silverdawn99:

Quoting Anonymous:

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:59 PM
He gets bad anxiety at times over silly stuff
I have heard good things about his doctor

Quoting Anonymous:

ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I thought it was only approved for age 12 and up?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Oh God. Get your child some real help. I know ADHD is a real diagnosis, but there are SOOOOOOOOO many better approaches than two medications for a seven year old child!!!!!

Start by reading this:

http://www.amazon.com/Overcoming-ADHD-Without-Medication-Guidebook/dp/0982992432/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362798259&sr=8-1&keywords=overcoming+adhd+without+medication

Then this:

http://www.amazon.com/Autism-ADHD-Diet-Step---Step/dp/1402218451/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1362798280&sr=1-2&keywords=autism+adhd+cookbook

Parents are seriously getting duped by doctors. It sickens me. There are ways to heal your child. Please find them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)