Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toys They "Need"

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:55 PM
  • 25 Replies
When I had DD I was young and had nothing. Terrified she was going to resent me I struggled to make sure she had everything. Then came DS. We were living comfortably but he was also the first grand baby on my husbands side. We were blessed with an outpouring of support and he had every toy and baby item imaginable. Now, with DS 3 we're in a good place financially, still have family support and have way too many things! Tonight I sorted 3 laundry baskets of baby toys to go to a local charity. This is what's left. In his room there are also wooden blocks, the laugh and learn table and fisher price instruments.

... 3 babies later I know how few toys babies actually need.

What toys are must haves and which could you do without?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WithHope
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:56 PM

LaceNBklyn
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:58 PM
My son loves his Ipad and he has about 2 favorite trucks. Also a few cars and action figures those are his staple toys. Ofcourse he has much more.
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:59 PM

My oldest we made the same mistakes, we don't do that anymore and my two younger children have few toys compared to most children and next to nothing compared to my oldest. 

goodygumdrops
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:59 PM

With our last little guy, the must have toys are blocks, cars and puzzles.  

MommyDearest555
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Educational toys are always the best to have available for a child; however my DS likes animal stuffies. He calls them his babies and he cares for them and changes their diapers. I feel that teaches him compassion and how to care for others. He also has a grill. He likes to "cook" for me. Then he has linking logs for building skills and a Leapster 2 for thinking and motor skills. The kid has way too many toys as well, but I don't see anything wrong with it. He learns something from all of them.

Most favorites for him though..His train table, True Heros Army Men, Toy Story toys, and his stuffed animals.

ColieO
by Emerald Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Cardboard boxes.

I do love Little people though. And we have lots of dress up clothes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:00 PM

with DS we needed all and any for therapy, so we had TRU in my home

now that the kids are older (6 & 4) we need an iPad, Kindle, iPod, Mac

Lego, hotwheels, bikes, motorized vehicles

barbies (DD)

WithHope
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:01 PM
DD loves her Leap Pad and Wii. DS 2 loves his Spider-Man costume and kitchen set. Looking back I wish we'd waited to buy toys until they were older and had "real" interests. Do many of the baby toys I got rid of tonight were practically untouched. Guess that'll be good or whoever receives them though.

Quoting LaceNBklyn:

My son loves his Ipad and he has about 2 favorite trucks. Also a few cars and action figures those are his staple toys. Ofcourse he has much more.

Kmary
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Ha was just having this conversation wtih my bro and SIL who are expecting their first babies.  They're having twins in June and naturally, are very nervous being first time parents and all and having multiples just makes them more nervous.  They were asking their friends about what they'd need and they were told about all these millions of things and all I could think was:  uh babies need close to nothing.  Just because retailers have convinced us that our children won't be happy/comfy/smart without tons of things and toys doesn't make it true.  Babies' needs are actually quite simple and toys are one of the biggest things they don't need much of.  After all, a baby is just as happy (if not more) playing with a spoon and a pot from your kitchen than with a fancy toy that lights up and sings, you know?  When it comes to kids, babies especially, I think the simpler you can keep it, the better. 

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I only bought educational toys

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)