Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/o no TV in this house

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:56 PM
  • 24 Replies
When I was a kid, you know what the biggest distraction was? Books. Not TV. Not cell phones (mostly bc there weren't any lol) At pretty much any time you would find my grandma or I reading a book. At the table, bed, couch etc. we still talked, but 80% of the time we were reading. Now days most my books are on my Nook. But I still read alot.

So my question is, for those who say that TV is a distraction, ruins family time etc...and don't have for that reason, In this case, would you also ban books?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
baquick
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Crap! hold on!. Ill fix it!
ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this

-lut?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this
T-
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this

ACDC_fan
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:21 PM

reading will never be forbidden lol. I limit the TV my daughter watches. If she is good, she can watch a few episodes of her Sprout shows. If she is bad, no TV at all.
Reading is ok =]  

baquick
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Bump!
baquick
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Playing devils advocate here:

How is it different?

Quoting ACDC_fan:

reading will never be forbidden lol. I limit the TV my daughter watches. If she is good, she can watch a few episodes of her Sprout shows. If she is bad, no TV at all.
Reading is ok =]  

Kitschy
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:09 PM

No. I wouldn't ban books but you wouldn't be reading one at my dinner table or when someone is trying to talk to you.

countrymum0710
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:11 PM
We do not own a TV for the reason that its pointless. My children can learn more by goin out side and exploring then they can from watching TV all day long. I have a friend who has the TV on 24/7 and I just can't sting going over there. We have MANY books available to our children and our selves when ever we want.
baquick
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:35 AM
We would still talk. If one of us said something to the other, but other than that we were content reading.

Quoting Kitschy:

No. I wouldn't ban books but you wouldn't be reading one at my dinner table or when someone is trying to talk to you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)