Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone go to the chiro regularly?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:37 PM
  • 8 Replies
I'm wondering if going to the chiro will help my energy levels... I have scoliosis and two pregnancies only made it worse (had it my entire childhood). It's in the lower back and makes my hips tilt forward as well. I'm ALWAYS tired and all of my muscles are sore. I also have kidney issues. I understand that the chiro will help w kidney issues and the muscle soreness. But I'm wondering if being adjusted will help. I'm thinking of making an appt tomorrow. Thoughts? Warnings? I just want to feel 24 instead of 44.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
LiliM
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:39 PM
I go every two weeks. Its amazing how much better I feel. I get an adjustment when I start to feel sick and it helps me to fend it off.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FoxFire363
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this

It's possible that it will help. My main advice to you is to make sure you do your homework before choosing a chiropractor. There are great ones and not so great ones. Get recommendations from friends, read reviews from patients online, look up their credentials, etc. The chiro I work for is great and knows his stuff, but it's like any other profession in that they aren't all awesome. A good chiro will go x-rays when you go in for your first appointment, and will discuss the results of your x-rays with you when you go in for follow up. They should be willing to show you the x-rays and explain to you what problems they see on them. 

Groove
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:13 PM
The one closest to me does $40 for the first appt and it comes w exam, xray, and treatment. and every appt come w HydroTherapy Massage. My only issue is that most chiros are males and I have a huge issue w men idk touching me.

Quoting FoxFire363:

It's possible that it will help. My main advice to you is to make sure you do your homework before choosing a chiropractor. There are great ones and not so great ones. Get recommendations from friends, read reviews from patients online, look up their credentials, etc. The chiro I work for is great and knows his stuff, but it's like any other profession in that they aren't all awesome. A good chiro will go x-rays when you go in for your first appointment, and will discuss the results of your x-rays with you when you go in for follow up. They should be willing to show you the x-rays and explain to you what problems they see on them. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FoxFire363
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:20 PM

If it makes you feel any better, they don't touch you for very long, an adjustment is done pretty quickly. It usually only takes about 5 minutes. Also, if you make him aware the issue, if he is any good with his patients he will do his best to make you comfortable. He may have a receptionist/assistant who is female, who might be willing to be in the room during your adjustment if you are comfortable with that, if you think it would help. It wouldn't hurt to ask. Or you could take somebody with you to your appointment for moral support. I have noticed that female chiropractors aren't as common, although when I asked my boss about it, he said that there were quite a few women in school with him. It might be worth the going a bit further to go to a female chiro if it's possible for you, but I don't know what kind of area you are in. If you are in a rural area, that may be extremely impractical. 

Quoting Groove:

The one closest to me does $40 for the first appt and it comes w exam, xray, and treatment. and every appt come w HydroTherapy Massage. My only issue is that most chiros are males and I have a huge issue w men idk touching me.

Quoting FoxFire363:

sarahbsquare
by gralexmommy on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:23 PM

i went to a chiro after i had a car accident and we rear-ended and they helped but whish that i knew one down here so i can start getting treatments again

they are guys because they are stronger than women when they are adjusting you.

Groove
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:31 PM
I asked my bf to come w me if I can get an appt soon. He went w me to my dentist appt. The dentist (a male) did a quick exam and I was sobbing the entire time. I sound insane. :S There are literally no female chrio's around me. I live in a small city, but am surrounded by rural farm land. I just feel that I will be in an intimate position to get adjusted. I've been procrastination going for over a year now. I only getting more and more pain.

Quoting FoxFire363:

If it makes you feel any better, they don't touch you for very long, an adjustment is done pretty quickly. It usually only takes about 5 minutes. Also, if you make him aware the issue, if he is any good with his patients he will do his best to make you comfortable. He may have a receptionist/assistant who is female, who might be willing to be in the room during your adjustment if you are comfortable with that, if you think it would help. It wouldn't hurt to ask. Or you could take somebody with you to your appointment for moral support. I have noticed that female chiropractors aren't as common, although when I asked my boss about it, he said that there were quite a few women in school with him. It might be worth the going a bit further to go to a female chiro if it's possible for you, but I don't know what kind of area you are in. If you are in a rural area, that may be extremely impractical. 

Quoting Groove:

Quoting FoxFire363:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
irvinehiker
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:40 PM

I went for awhile, also I took my Ds.  Do your research and find a good one.  Chiro care can be helpful and beneficial but there are a few quacks out there.

FoxFire363
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:47 PM

I'm sorry. That's a tough situation to deal with. Typically, to get adjusted, you lie on a table. I can see how that might make you feel vulnerable. It would help if you had some sort of anti-anxiety medication available that you could take before the appointment, but I'm guessing you don't given your description of the dentist appointment. The good news is, the adjustment is over much more quickly than any dental exam. They touch you very briefly. I was very nervous before my first adjustment as well, although not to this degree. I have an anxiety disorder, so I know what it's like to an extent (my anxiety is just about different things). Getting adjusted really has helped me deal with my back pain. I think that maybe if you went a few times you would get used to the chiropractor, and then he wouldn't fall into that "stranger" category so it would get easier over time. I hope you decide to give it a try. 

Quoting Groove:

I asked my bf to come w me if I can get an appt soon. He went w me to my dentist appt. The dentist (a male) did a quick exam and I was sobbing the entire time. I sound insane. :S There are literally no female chrio's around me. I live in a small city, but am surrounded by rural farm land. I just feel that I will be in an intimate position to get adjusted. I've been procrastination going for over a year now. I only getting more and more pain.

Quoting FoxFire363:

Quoting Groove:

Quoting FoxFire363:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)