Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MYOB or say something?

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:02 AM
  • 32 Replies

I frequently eat lunch with DS. 2 to 3 times a week. There are 3 "lunch ladies" and 1 janitor. I get along with all of them besides one. She just has a horrible attitude and is a bitch. we don't get into it or anything, I just don't talk to her, never have. 

Well, as you can imagine, the lunch room gets unruly. We flick the lights off to "reset" the noise level. 2 weeks ago, this bitch has been bringing out an empty box of fudge bars, claiming she wanted to give icecream out to quiet tables, but nobody is being quiet enough. So I had DS' class put their heads down and be super quiet, for an entire 5 minutes. They didn't talk at all. Do you know how difficult that is for 28 second graders to be quiet in a full lunch room? But they did it, but still, no icecream. I told them that maybe it was too late, and to try again next time.

Over the next two weeks, she does this over and over, and never gives out icecream. So I ask the kids if she has ever given out icecream to anybody. They said no. I asked one of the other lunch ladies, she shrugs and says "no, it's just an empty box". Indicating she has no intention of giving icecream out, that she doesn't even have any. WTF?

What is she going to do if they are actually super quiet one day? She is offering a reward that she has no intention of giving. Then gets pissed and yells when her incentive doesn't work. So I brought cookies today for his class during lunch, if they were reasonably quiet, which they were. This fucking bitch sneered at me. 

Well, I had an IEP meeting today, and I told the principal what this bitch has been doing. She acted as if it were a problem, but who knows. She maybe just placating me. DH said it wasn't my place to say anything. I told his teacher and she was pissed. She said it just carries over to her classroom when she promises rewards, they don't think she will deliver.

So, I ask, was it my place to say anything? This isn't a big deal to me if it were parent doing this to their child. But when others do it to my child, I have a problem. I do t want her to give my kid icecream, I just want her to stop promising something she has no intention on giving.

Exile Island. A fun place with colorful people. Join our fitness forum and participate in our fitness competition.

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like the lunch lady is a bully. I think you did the right thing.

slayerslegacy
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:06 AM
4 moms liked this
Beat her with the empty box.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AngryBob
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:08 AM

my mom said that her mom would do something similar growing up. if she came home and the chores weren't done, or they had been fighting, she'd say, oh, i was going to give you all a treat, but i guess not now. but when they were good, she'd just look around and say, okay.

it would really bother her when they would "miss out" on a potential treat, until an older sibling told her that they would never get a treat, and it dawned on her. her mother was extremely manipulative. my mom has a lot of problems stemming from her mom.

so i'm a little biased because of that, but yeah, i would say that's pretty logical. i mean, nobody likes being duped. and kids really do try to please. it does pretty messed up things to a kid's head when he realizes that he's being scammed.

Djinn83
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Bahahaha! I'd like to beat her with a bag of nickels. She has a serious attitude problem. The kids have to go to her to replace dropped plastic spoons or for extra napkins. They always ask me to do it because she gets super grumpy about it. Ive never seen such a chronically unhappy person

Quoting slayerslegacy:

Beat her with the empty box.

Exile Island. A fun place with colorful people. Join our fitness forum and participate in our fitness competition.

Pushthruthepain
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I think you handled it nicely and calmly better then I would have when my husband told me to myob.She ids taunting those kids and it's inappropriate.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:12 AM
I like the "beat her with the empty box" too...

Quoting Anonymous:

Sounds like the lunch lady is a bully. I think you did the right thing.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:13 AM
She definitely needs to get a grip and stop acting like a bully, but my biggest question from this whole thing is: why on earth are you eating at your child's school 2-3 times per week?????
Djinn83
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Yes, exactly! Scamming.

But it doesn't even work. They quiet down when she is standing in the middle of the lunch room, yelling at them, because she can't give anybody icecream, and she really really wanted to. As soon as she turns to leave, they are loud again. 5 minutes later, she matches out and says "I WAS going to give you a second chance. But I can't because you are being too loud". Whattabitch. She knows damn well she isn't giving them shit.

Quoting AngryBob:

my mom said that her mom would do something similar growing up. if she came home and the chores weren't done, or they had been fighting, she'd say, oh, i was going to give you all a treat, but i guess not now. but when they were good, she'd just look around and say, okay.

it would really bother her when they would "miss out" on a potential treat, until an older sibling told her that they would never get a treat, and it dawned on her. her mother was extremely manipulative. my mom has a lot of problems stemming from her mom.

so i'm a little biased because of that, but yeah, i would say that's pretty logical. i mean, nobody likes being duped. and kids really do try to please. it does pretty messed up things to a kid's head when he realizes that he's being scammed.

Melissa_4
by Navy Mom on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:13 AM

I would have a problem with it as well because my children are well behaved, and if they are promised something, the little ones get upset when people do not follow through on promises.

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:14 AM

I'd have said something. I'm totally anti-mean and not afraid to point out a meany-head be they child or adult

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)