Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 12 year old girl thinks she has OCD

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:44 AM
  • 13 Replies
My daughter Eleanor thinks she has mild OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) and my husband I think so too. She hates it bc she spends hours fixing things in her room b4 she goes to bed. She is IN bed at 11 but supposed to be IN bed at 10. She says it doesn't matter bc she always falls asleep at 2-3 am, and she does. What can she do to prevent herself from doing this process of "fixing things" b4 bed?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
harpsichord
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:45 AM

talk to your doctor, see a therapist, try meds, there are a lot of options. she's young, so it's really important you address it as soon as possible.

AvaTomlinson
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Really? She has a mild case so I don't know if it's that serious. Is this common, do u know?
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:51 AM
My 5yo dd has been diagnosed with ocd and she's in therapy for it. It causes her a ton of anxiety.

Quoting AvaTomlinson:

Really? She has a mild case so I don't know if it's that serious. Is this common, do u know?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PerfectAccident
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:51 AM

It started with me when I was about 7 or 8 and never got fixed. It can start at any age and she will need to see a therapist.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:52 AM

She should certainly start some sort of counseling before it escalates. My daughter and I both have some habitual routines that make us feel better. I wouldn't go as far as to say that we have ocd that disrupts our lives to the point of not functioning normally, but I've had to keep a close eye on my daughter to make sure that her habits don't start interfering with her well being. If your daughter is obsessing to the point that it's causing her to lose sleep, it might be time to talk to someone about it.

Mweddle
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:54 AM

I had those issues as a kid and it made my life miserable.   I was never medicated for it but I know that I had issues similar and if I were you I would try to help her get past it because its miserable to be exhausted but have to check locks for the 5th time or put on your chapstick 40 times per lip or whatever her issues may be. 

sweetmomma326
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:55 AM

I can't go to bed until I load the dishwasher, shower, wash my face, and do laundry.  I feel at peace when it is done, but IDK if you would classify it as OCD. If I don't do it, and wake up the next day, I am irritated.

Mizuagi
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:06 AM
I have it and depending if I'm having a bad day, it can get worse. There's certain things I have to do before falling asleep as well. I spend about half an hour fixing the bed to go to sleep. If in the middle of the night it gets too messed up, I will get up and fix it again. My DH is so patient with me and accepts the crazy things I do. When I get up in the middle of the night to fix the bed, I have also learned to work around him to not wake him up. haha. I have many other things I do, but the bed is my biggest thing.

I'm sorry I'm not much help. I don't go to a therapist or anything, though I have thought about going to one. I had it when I was a kid like I do now. It went away as a teenager. It came back again when I lost my baby 3 years ago.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:56 PM
My 9 year old recently started exhibiting OCD symptoms. We've already been to our first consultation with a therapist and have seen her pediatrician. I'm at a loss for what else to do. She has the recurring "what if..?" thoughts type of OCD. Unfortunately, I am her target. She wonders what if she doesn't love me, what if she wants me to die, what if I'm ugly, what if I have a horrible singing voice? Etc... It's been heart breaking to watch. She's constantly wringing her hands, pacing, crying, not sleeping, and having feelings of guilt. If anyone has any advice besides the therapist thing, PLEASE, I'm begging for any kind of helpful input. My innocent, sweet little girl is falling apart and I am falling apart as well. Help, please..😢
eb415
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:00 PM

What happens if she doesn't fix things in her room?

I'd take her to a doctor - her pediatrician is a reasonable place to start.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)