Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

for those that are a god parent or who have a god parents for their children. is this weird?

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:47 AM
  • 50 Replies
A friend of mine(she is actually an in law as well) is for lack of a better phrase, a serial god parent. Whenever someone is pregnant she will ask them if she can baptize their baby when it's born. She currently has five god children. Now i have three god children and i am extremely involved in their lives. My job as a god parent is to provide emotional and spiritual guidance to the child.. but also to help the parent with whatever they may need. I take my responsibility seriously not only because of my religion, but because i made that promise to that child. Whenever the parents can't afford to buy things for my god kids (pampers, clothes, gifts for special occasions) i step in and pitch in financially. I take my god kids out and take them occasionally for weekends.

What i find strange is 1) in my culture it is rude to ask someone to baptize their child. The parents should select and ask you. 2) she actually gets upset if you already have god parents chosen for your baby. Im Puerto Rican and its very common for there to be two sets of god parents for a child. One is a home baptism where a priest comes to the home and does it when the child is between 1-3 mths of age and the other set are in the church itself and are documented as the god parents. Well i have three sisters, one is the god mother of my oldest and i chose another one to be the god mother in the church for my youngest. My sister is in her forties, is not married and has no children. She loves and adores my kids as if they were her own. She was a huge help during my pregnancy and even traveled to a diff state when i was in the icu on life support. So i chose her to be my youngest god mother in the church...but because my friend asked me i told her she could baptize my son in the home. She got pissed off and said that it didn't really count and didn't want to do it. The man i chose to be the god father for my son is deployed with my husband so we had to cancel the baptism until they return...and she suggested we do the baptism with my sister and her. Wtf? Am i the only one that finds this strange? Like she's only asking just to have the title? Oh..also one of my in laws is pregnant right now and she again asked this one if she could baptize her baby.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmorales7690
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:49 AM
That is weird! My kids godparent is my brother. I'm glad there wouldn't ever be another to consider in my book
marinenonstop
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:50 AM
Lol well i have three sisters and a brother.. and dh is the oldest of 13. Whenever someone is pregnant its always, "soooooo have you thought about god parents yet?" Lol

Quoting kmorales7690:

That is weird! My kids godparent is my brother. I'm glad there wouldn't ever be another to consider in my book

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Weirder than my being an Atheist with 3 godkids.

marinenonstop
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:54 AM
Lmao!! You know one of my closest friends is an atheist and dh and i actually spoke with her about her baptizing my son in the home. She laughed and said she didn't need the title and she is honored we thought of her but it would mean more to someone who followed our religion. So she does everything a god parent would..except my kids call her titi (aunt in spanish) instead of madrina (god mother in spanish).

Quoting Anonymous:

JacksonGirl
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:56 AM
Yeah its weird. My SIL is godmother to my dd's and my BIL is godfather because these two are the most spiritually grounded couple I know and I'm proud to have them in my dd's lives.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:57 AM

I was a practicing Catholic when we baptized my first godchild.  Later, my friends said that I know more about religion than anyone they know and wanted someone "open-minded" to guide their children.  I was pretty honored. They all call me aunt, but only one is actually my nephew.

Quoting marinenonstop:

Lmao!! You know one of my closest friends is an atheist and dh and i actually spoke with her about her baptizing my son in the home. She laughed and said she didn't need the title and she is honored we thought of her but it would mean more to someone who followed our religion. So she does everything a god parent would..except my kids call her titi (aunt in spanish) instead of madrina (god mother in spanish).

Quoting Anonymous:

marinenonstop
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:04 AM
I find that most atheist do know more about religion than those practicing, and not just one religion. My friend can sit down and have a conversation about any religion. She was raised jw but has since decided that organized religion is not for her. She is amazing though. I just get sad when it's Xmas and i want to buy her son something and she tells me no because they don't celebrate xmas. So i sneak h a twenty and tell him just because i hadn't seen him in a while lol. She laughs and says, "that better not be am Xmas gift! " and i say. "Nope..its not wrapped.. just a i love you buy some candy gesture. " lol

Quoting Anonymous:

I was a practicing Catholic when we baptized my first godchild.  Later, my friends said that I know more about religion than anyone they know and wanted someone "open-minded" to guide their children.  I was pretty honored. They all call me aunt, but only one is actually my nephew.

Quoting marinenonstop:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:11 AM

LOL I love it!

Quoting marinenonstop:

I find that most atheist do know more about religion than those practicing, and not just one religion. My friend can sit down and have a conversation about any religion. She was raised jw but has since decided that organized religion is not for her. She is amazing though. I just get sad when it's Xmas and i want to buy her son something and she tells me no because they don't celebrate xmas. So i sneak h a twenty and tell him just because i hadn't seen him in a while lol. She laughs and says, "that better not be am Xmas gift! " and i say. "Nope..its not wrapped.. just a i love you buy some candy gesture. " lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting marinenonstop:

Quoting Anonymous:

Marja2011
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:32 AM
I find her very rude, I am not religious but we still have god-parents for our son. For us, God-parents are people that we choose to help our son grow up to be a well adjusted person and look out for him like we would. If we should die before he is old enough to be on his own, they will get to raise him as stated in our wills. It took us forever to pick them out and this is something we would not take lightly. So I guess I would be very offended by her actions.
marinenonstop
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:42 AM
See that's exactly what I'm feeling. Honestly i told dh that we could not have anymore God children because we have three that are close in age and its a big responsibility. We've been asked and had to tell the parents that though we were honored and would love to accept it would not be fair to the child or them as parents. I have quite a few god siblings but they vary in ages and my parents always made sure that they could devote time and finances to them. I don't think she's taking it seriously and just wants to say that they are her God kids.

Quoting Marja2011:

I find her very rude, I am not religious but we still have god-parents for our son. For us, God-parents are people that we choose to help our son grow up to be a well adjusted person and look out for him like we would. If we should die before he is old enough to be on his own, they will get to raise him as stated in our wills. It took us forever to pick them out and this is something we would not take lightly. So I guess I would be very offended by her actions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)