Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

House work

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:17 AM
  • 43 Replies

I was watching the television the other day and it said women in the 40,50,60 cleaned the house for at least 26 hours a week.

Women today do 13 or less.

I counted how many house I spend a week cleaning the house and it is about 13.

It went on to say the new appliances are the reason we do so much less house work.

Do you think the appliance are the reason or we are just lazier? or dirtier?

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
madwifa
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:29 AM

BUMP!

AngryBob
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:31 AM

possibly the applicances. dishwashers and clothes washers really make life that much easier.

Mom2MikeynLando
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:32 AM

I'd like to say its because women do more outside the home now.  Most work, are in school, volunteer, etc.  

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this

It's probably a combination of both, most houses are not as clean as they were fifty years ago.  People also have a lot more, "stuff", in this day and age creating more clutter and more dust.  Other than the washer, dryer and dishwasher there aren't that many differences appliance wise and versions of all three of those were available then too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:33 AM

I think that is some of it. I also think now there is the internet and more TV shows on I blame that more than appliances.

madwifa
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:33 AM

I think it is all of the above.

I think some people have gotten lazy and just dont care.

I think some people are just so busy they might clean once a month.

I do think the applicance make up for a lot of the time.

I know for me I use each and everyone I have and enjoy sitting watching television. lol

Hilary799
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Interesting questions. I just got done with a history paper from that era. It is possible that new appliances that are coming out possibly could have made us lazy. However, I think that now, we concentrate more on raising our kids, then having a house with not a speck of dirt anywhere at any time. My house is clean, but it is also lived in with 4-8 kids depending on the day. I deep clean every two weeks, but I'd rather enjoy my children than stress if my house wouldn't pass miitary inspection cleanliness.

sugareemommee
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I clean for at least 24 hours. My house is old and big though. And that includes outside. I think standards of clean are just different nowadays.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
madwifa
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:38 AM

I agree we have gotten lazy with so much conviences. My mom who is 75 still cleans her house I promise 20 hours a week. She is always always cleaning I can tell you she runs circles around me she is in such good health.

Quoting Hilary799:

Interesting questions. I just got done with a history paper from that era. It is possible that new appliances that are coming out possibly could have made us lazy. However, I think that now, we concentrate more on raising our kids, then having a house with not a speck of dirt anywhere at any time. My house is clean, but it is also lived in with 4-8 kids depending on the day. I deep clean every two weeks, but I'd rather enjoy my children than stress if my house wouldn't pass miitary inspection cleanliness.

starfire59
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:39 AM
2 moms liked this

I believe it's because more women are working outside the home. I also think working moms are doing more than 13 hrs a week on cleaning the house. I have been a SAHM and a working mom. We do the majority either way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)