Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I homeschool but...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies
We use tutors from the college. The tutors are really students getting their student teacher credits. I pay them nothing. It started out just needing a little help with math. Then we sat and talked about allowing the tutor to be a student teacher. She hands her lesson plans over to me to check and I either approve or modify the lessons depending on subject matter. This is my confession.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this

That is something I would consider doing as well. I might have to pay them something eventually for their time, but not like its babysitting. I would need help teaching my children. So, I don't judge you.

KymberleeAnn
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:20 AM

I guess that's okay as long as the child is happy and is receiving the state core curriculum that your state requires, and is actually learning than that should be just fine.

All the best for and your child.

UpstateAnnette
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I home school my daughter as well.  My daughter is in First grade and per NYS law I can hire someone else to do up to half of the teaching.  So, my babysitter helps me out with a few subjects.  That reminds me we need to do a reading and phonics and a health lesson today.   My babysitter also does preschool and will do the curriculum with my (soon to be) 5y/o next year while I will teach him to read.   My babysitter enrolls her kids in  the local community college for their Sr. year. 

jen2150
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Most people don't realize this but homeschooling is not just the parent teaching the child.  My sons have about 6-7 teachers other than myself.  Homeschooling is about learning how take charge of your education.  I enjoy having them learn from a variety of individuals including myself.  To be honest I am learning as much from them as they are learning from me.  I enjoy being able to watch them grow and blossom every day.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:28 AM
In our state as long as we supervise what is being taught we don't have to do the actual teaching. However I always go over with dd what she learned and if she needs extra help in a certain subject we might shift our focus on just that subject for a small time frame. We both love it.

Quoting UpstateAnnette:

I home school my daughter as well.  My daughter is in First grade and per NYS law I can hire someone else to do up to half of the teaching.  So, my babysitter helps me out with a few subjects.  That reminds me we need to do a reading and phonics and a health lesson today.   My babysitter also does preschool and will do the curriculum with my (soon to be) 5y/o next year while I will teach him to read.   My babysitter enrolls her kids in  the local community college for their Sr. year. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)