• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how does child support work?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
its a long story, but after 3 years of trying to get my sons dad to step up and be a dad, emotionally, and financially... i finally went and filed for custody and child support.

DF and i arent married, yet.we plan to this summer.
i did all my paperwork at the court house, and the lady gave me a court date.
it stated on the paper that i am to bring the paper copy she gave me, tax return from prior year (2012), recent paystubs, and his (ds) insurance cards.

ok, no big deal. i worked from oct 12' to feb 13'. i was a SAHM, thanks to my wonderful DF =)
i chose to work, because DS started school and i was so lonely with both kids in school (we have a child together)
i quit my job to stay home, get prepared for the new baby, and adjust a little bit.

so, anyway.... i have all that stuff they want... but i told the lady my tax return has been taken (another long story, but it pretty much leads to my ex (ds dad) took out a loan in my name, and now i "owe" the money back." i am currently waiting on paperwork to prove the signature on the MPN is NOT mine.. its his. can take up to 6 weeks)
so am i to bring in something saying my taxes were taken? can i just screenshot irs.gov and our state refund site saying my taxes are being withheld???

also, because DF and i are not married, does his income count at all?
i asked the lady, and she said none of his stuff is required for this case, because hes not on it.

But dont they count his income as well, considering hes been taking care of DS also???

idk what im asking.. just need to know how it works..lol

ETA: he has stated multiple times he wants nothing to do with us... yes, us as in me and HIS son.. i procreated with a loser... not my intention, but it happened. stupid stage in my life, thought he was the one..

BUT, he wants to sign his right over, ive talked to the courts and they wont allow it in this state. but do you think if he says he wants no custody of DS, they will allow it?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:25 AM
bump
Sept-babies2
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:27 AM
You should have recieved a letter..like i did a week after they took it. You also should have gotten another letter months before they took it telling u they were taking it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:29 AM
i called the 800 number that was on the site, and they said theyd send paperwork for me.. but i never got a letter saying it was being withheld. and i filed my taxes january 23rd!! after 2 weeks the sites updated saying i get nothing =/

Quoting Sept-babies2:

You should have recieved a letter..like i did a week after they took it. You also should have gotten another letter months before they took it telling u they were taking it.

Sept-babies2
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Either way if he doesn't want custody doesn't mean he gets to stop paying child support.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:30 AM
i have no idea how any of this works. thank you =)

Quoting Sept-babies2:

Either way if he doesn't want custody doesn't mean he gets to stop paying child support.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:31 AM
shameless bump
Sept-babies2
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Well call again because they are suppose to send it

Quoting Anonymous:

i called the 800 number that was on the site, and they said theyd send paperwork for me.. but i never got a letter saying it was being withheld. and i filed my taxes january 23rd!! after 2 weeks the sites updated saying i get nothing =/

Quoting Sept-babies2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:34 AM
The court doesn't care if you got your return or not. They want your taxes to see what you made last year. That's how they calculate child support.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:36 AM
i asked the lady to make sure i got all of what i needed, because i dont want to go waste a whole day in court only to be sent on my way due to missing things i needed.

Quoting Anonymous:

The court doesn't care if you got your return or not. They want your taxes to see what you made last year. That's how they calculate child support.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:39 AM

They will not take your df's income into consideration even if you were/are married. So no need to worry there. No clue why they are even asking about yopur taxes. That was never brought up when I filed for cs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)