Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't get the controversy over "the fetus can/can't feel pain"

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies
1 mom liked this
Why is this the new thing to argue about? As if to say that (from pro choice perspective) since the fetus can't feel pain it makes abortion that much more ok. I personally don't think it matters whether an unborn baby can or can't feel pain when it comes to making any sort of case for pro choice. The simple fact that a life is being terminated is what makes abortion wrong. I would however like to know, for those who are of the opinion that the unborn don't experience pain, exactly what FACTS support your theory on this? How did you come to KNOW this to be true??
I know there are a lot of pro choicers in this group so I know that simply being prolife is going to make you dislike my opinion but even with differing opinions on whether abortion is or is t right, one can't argue with common sense...pain or no pain, makes no difference and should not make the case for either side.

Sidenote: please do not come in "correcting" the terms I chose to use...fetus, baby, unborn, etc. they are my personal choices for what I find appropriate. I will not be responding to posts that say "here I fixed that for ya". That's rude and condescending. We can have differing opinions and still be respectful.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Bump
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:02 AM
3 moms liked this

Who cares. Abortion is legal, and every womans choice, thankfully.

romalove
by SakePrincess on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I don't ascribe it to pain or not pain.

I say sentient or non-sentient life.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:03 AM
"Who cares" is precisely my point. I don't get it.

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

thetrollcat
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:04 AM

if it cannot feel then it is not a baby. If it is not a baby, then miscarriage is not a birth. If it is not a birth then it is a miscarriage.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Er... Isn't that just a synonym? Nonetheless, why does it make any one side's case?? That's my question...

Quoting romalove:

randi1978
by Murdoc's Mistress on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:06 AM

This here.  I only argue the pain thing when someone says they can feel pain at like 8 weeks.  I believe it is a new life, yes, but not a person entitled to the same rights as you or I until the cerebral cortex is fully developed and there is sentience.

Quoting romalove:

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:06 AM

What about that don't you get? Obviouslyy if I were to have an abortion I wouldn't really care if the fetus could/could not feel pain, now would I?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:07 AM
So then it's just another prochoice tactic for desensitization?

Quoting thetrollcat:

if it cannot feel then it is not a baby. If it is not a baby, then miscarriage is not a birth. If it is not a birth then it is a miscarriage.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:09 AM
My question is if prochoicers don't care whether a baby can or can't feel pain then why is this such a huge source of controversy?

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

What about that don't you get? Obviouslyy if I were to have an abortion I wouldn't really care if the fetus could/could not feel pain, now would I?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)