Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Disney movies are evil

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:01 AM
  • 50 Replies
Ok, so not evil, but does it bug anyone else that the real stories are so prettied up?

I think the real stories served a purpose, and maybe kids wouldn't be so brazen if they'd heard the real stories...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:03 AM
They put the movies on a kid's level so they can understand and enjoy it.
MommyBoha
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:04 AM
we are having a Disney movie day today. Im not feeling well, so we are breaking out the movies. Right now watching Monsters Inc, already watched Wreck It Ralph
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cinnamonkiti
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM
The original stories were already on a kids level. What they do is make them less scary.. But they sometimes change stupid things....

In Aladdin, they claimed Aladdin was an orphan. He wasn't. His dad was one of the 40 thieves, and his mom tossed him out because he was a delinquent. They fixed the dad thing 2 movies later..but still.

Quoting Anonymous:

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Nope. It doesn't bug me.

randi1978
by Murdoc's Mistress on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I traumatized Monster when I told her that Ariel actually died in the real story.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:15 AM
It seems Disney always has to twist stories. For example: they aren't going to tell the real story of Pocahontas and how the English settlers treated her and her people like shit and how they imprisoned her and Christianized her. The John Smith story of her saving him is also speculated to be a lie on John Smith's behalf.

Yeah, I do hate how Disney butchers things.

Quoting cinnamonkiti:

The original stories were already on a kids level. What they do is make them less scary.. But they sometimes change stupid things....

In Aladdin, they claimed Aladdin was an orphan. He wasn't. His dad was one of the 40 thieves, and his mom tossed him out because he was a delinquent. They fixed the dad thing 2 movies later..but still.

Quoting Anonymous:

thetrollcat
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

99% of the kids books are all fantasy too, should we burn them?

TugBoatMama
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

A lot of fairy tales were originally told with the intent of being scary to children. Little Red Riding Hood was a story meant to keep children from wandering off into the woods alone. Children were not really treated like children in those days either though. We want our kids to know that even without all the magic, there can still be goodness and happy endings in the world they live in. There's so much more to these tales than how they end. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Nothing stopping you from sharing different versions of stories with them at some point, whether to read or watch -

MsRkg
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:17 AM
I hate all things Disney. We didn't do Disney stuff when my son was growing up. We didn't do a lot of kid things with my son actually when it came to shows and music.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)