Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Step parent adoption :D

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies
1 mom liked this
Well, we have officially hired an attorney for my dh to adopt my oldest son. Ods has not seen or talked to his bio dad in over 3 years. Bio dad is off somewhere living with his freshly turned 18 GF and her parents. He is 27. He is continuing to do drugs, getting into harder and harder stuff, and blames his felony when he can't find a job to pay child support.

Some days he says he wants to sign his rights away so he doesn't have to pay anymore (not that he makes regular payments anyhow), but other days he says he doesn't want to.

I have full sole/physical custody, bio dad is not allowed visits because of his drug abuse. We changed ods' last name to my DHs last year, and we have been saving for the adoption lawyer fees. Now that we have the money, I'm excited to get things started!
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:34 AM

ok...pretty similar situation here.  how did you change the names without an adoption?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:42 AM
You fill out a name change request, go in front of a judge, and they change the name (as long as nobody contests it)

Quoting Anonymous:

ok...pretty similar situation here.  how did you change the names without an adoption?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:45 AM

OMG! Thank you! I thought I had to wait until the adoption! Will research the guidelines in our state.

Quoting Anonymous:

You fill out a name change request, go in front of a judge, and they change the name (as long as nobody contests it)

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:58 AM
It was fairly easy in Oregon, if I remember right it was around $150 for filing fees. Good luck!

Quoting Anonymous:

OMG! Thank you! I thought I had to wait until the adoption! Will research the guidelines in our state.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I just looked it up! Yes, it's about the same here!!! Did you file on your own or did you have a respresentative?

Quoting Anonymous:

It was fairly easy in Oregon, if I remember right it was around $150 for filing fees. Good luck!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:50 PM
I did it all on my own. I had to purchase the papers from a reputable place, as my courthouse does not provide them for name change of a minor. You can buy them online, but I found a place much cheaper near me (it was an office supply store). The papers came with thorough instructions on how to file them properly, and the clerk I filed with was very helpful and confirmed the instructions as well. It was neat when we appeared before the judge, he congratulated ds and called him "Mr.(new last name)"

Quoting Anonymous:

I just looked it up! Yes, it's about the same here!!! Did you file on your own or did you have a respresentative?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:01 PM

you don't know how much I appreciate this! 

Quoting Anonymous:

I did it all on my own. I had to purchase the papers from a reputable place, as my courthouse does not provide them for name change of a minor. You can buy them online, but I found a place much cheaper near me (it was an office supply store). The papers came with thorough instructions on how to file them properly, and the clerk I filed with was very helpful and confirmed the instructions as well. It was neat when we appeared before the judge, he congratulated ds and called him "Mr.(new last name)"

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM

nice :) congrats and good luck

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:04 PM
I'm glad I could help :) good luck with everything!

Quoting Anonymous:

you don't know how much I appreciate this! 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Thank you :)

Quoting bustybee:

nice :) congrats and good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)