Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I switched my son's formula from milk based to soy based

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

and I really, really hope it will help wth his constipation! My poor little guy has been so backed up lately, eversince we started solid foods.  He's almost 8 months old.  We backed off the solid food and started giving him a few ounces of juice everyday but so far no luck.  He's had to have suppositories three times now just to get him to go.   I have 3 older kids (12,10, and almost 3) and none of them had it this bad.  My almost 3 year old got pretty constipated to the point of needing suppositories once or twice, but not like this.  I just hate seeing my lil guy in pain.  

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Midsummerdawn
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Are you giving him solid food or rice paste from a box? Try skipping the rice and using fresh fruits and vegetables. Add grains later. Start with oatmeal.

dlnimo
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Two of my girls are on miralax to help with,their constipation. It works line a charm. Just add in with water or milk, it has no taste and with in an hour they are going!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:40 AM

What solid foods are you giving him?  Was he constipated on his regular formula?  Diets low in magnesium are often the reason for constipation.  Also, what kind of juice did you try?  Did you try prune juice?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I'm not a huge rice cereal fan but they give him a bit at daycare, so I'm going to ask them to stop.  We do fruits and veggies for solids at this point.  My whole family has issues with cow's milk except for my mom and oldest daughter, so I'm thinking that may be a big part of the culprit.  I'm going to take him to the pediatrician next week if I don't see much improvement.  

luvhubandbabys
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:41 AM
I think soy is more likely to constipate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

What solid foods are you giving him?  Was he constipated on his regular formula?  Diets low in magnesium are often the reason for constipation.  Also, what kind of juice did you try?  Did you try prune juice?

We are trying pear juice but prune juice is definitely on the table.  He wasn't so constipated on his regular formula which is why I think it may be the solids...but, being that many people in my immediate family have major issues with cow's milk I think that a soy-based formula may help. 

PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:46 AM

He may not be ready for solids yet.  Solids at this age should be a very small part of his diet.  He should be getting most of his calories from formula.  I'm not really a fan of soy as most soy formula is from GMO soy and it is a phyto-estrogen which can raise estrogen levels in the body.  The more I read about soy, the more disgusted I become.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

We are trying pear juice but prune juice is definitely on the table.  He wasn't so constipated on his regular formula which is why I think it may be the solids...but, being that many people in my immediate family have major issues with cow's milk I think that a soy-based formula may help. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Soy is so bad and more likely to constipate. :/
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Yep I am not a huge fan of soy either but at this point I don't know what else to try.  The familial issues with cow's milk sort of make me think that may be the culprit at this point because he literally eats SO little solid food that I doubt it would make him constipated...but, it could happen.  I think I'll try soy-based for a week and see if it helps, if not, we'll go back to cow's milk formula and cut the solids until he's about 10 months old.  Oh, and of course see what his ped has to say next week.  

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

He may not be ready for solids yet.  Solids at this age should be a very small part of his diet.  He should be getting most of his calories from formula.  I'm not really a fan of soy as most soy formula is from GMO soy and it is a phyto-estrogen which can raise estrogen levels in the body.  The more I read about soy, the more disgusted I become.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Soy is really bad for developing children!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)