Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Yikes! I hope I didn’t ruin my chances.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

I have a job interview today. I need this job. I was working as a caretaker for my grandmother, but she unexpectedly passed away two weeks ago. The day before she passed away, our offer was accepted on our first house. While we have good credit and no debt, I have to be working for us to get the loan. I'm also a full time college student, so I have to find an employer that will work with my schedule. While this job is just a minimum wage gig that will tide us over until Fall (I can start substituting then), I think I'd enjoy working here. It's a movie rental place.

All morning I've been preparing. I put on a killer outfit, did my hair and makeup (which I rarely do), and updated my resume. I got to my 10:30 interview five minutes early, and patiently waited on the manager. When the manager came out, another guy walked in for his 10:30 interview. The manager looked at her interview timeslots and informed me that my interview is at 11:30. I came at the wrong time. 

Ugh. Now I'm at home (I live four blocks away) waiting for my 11:30 interview.

So tell me guys - Have you ever made a mistake during an interview? Did you get the job? Any tips or tricks for interviews? How do you answer hard questions (what's your weakness, etc.)? What follow up questions do you usually ask?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
crashblossom
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Yikes! That's a full schedule. How old are your children? 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
LovelyMommy24
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this
As long as you didn't show up late you're fine. Just be yourself. Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:54 AM

SS is five and in Kindergarten. We have him 50% of the time. I go to school and fit all of my work into the beginning of the week. After DH picks him up on Wednesday night, I just have class on Thursday - which is when he's in class. I think for this job, I'll probably have to take a late weekend night shift - but I can do that for now.

Quoting crashblossom:

Yikes! That's a full schedule. How old are your children? 

misskriss10
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Maybe the manager will think that you're eager and excited and want to hire you because of it! I'm actually starting my job today and 1 and I'm extrememly nervous (even though I know I'll only be training on saftey today). Good luck, mama (: 

cutebaby06
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:55 AM

It might, sorry, but I'm jsut being honest, they may think "oh she can't take direction very well." I wish you luck.

outtabodymommy
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Make a joke about being early--something along the lines of "I am so anxious to get started, I left  the house an hour early!"  As far as what are you weaknesses, say something like, "I am always early for appointments, and I am always hoping to pick up an extra shift or two."  I can understand why you were embarrassed, but turn it into a positive--being early is way better than being late!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:58 AM

That's what I was worried about. When they called me, I was in the middle of an event at SS's school. I didn't have a pen and wasn't able to write anything down. Then, I started second guessing myself about what time I was supposed to be there.

Quoting cutebaby06:

It might, sorry, but I'm jsut being honest, they may think "oh she can't take direction very well." I wish you luck.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Movie rental places still exist?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:08 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)