Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would CPS say?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

Some of you might think this is a stupid question, and I doubt this would happen, but I'm honestly curious. I haven't encountered this particular situation.

Here's a little background.. I was sexually abused for about five years as a child (From the age of 3-8). I started getting depressed and thinking about suicide when I was about 10 or 11, before I even knew what it was. I strarted to feel really down on myself, like I would never amount to anything, started to isolate myself, etc.  When I was in middle school it got worse, and by the time I was in high school, it was terrible. I had PTSD, depression, and anxiety.  I got pregant when I was 16 and stopped taking my meds. They weren't good for the baby and I felt like I didn't need them anymore. 

Now my son is 1 and I feel like I'm falling back into the pit of depression again.  My boyfriend and my relationship is rocky. He makes me miserable at times. I know that sounds harsh and people will probably tell me I should leave him but it's not bad enough for me to want to leave but at the same time not good enough for me to want to say. So that makes it hard, but we are in couples therapy. Also my coworkers drive me crazy, but I found a new job but I don't start til April.  I am also going to nursing school. I don't really have close friends. It's just a lot of stress. Being a mom is stressful but my son makes me happy. It takes a lot for him to make me angry, which is rare, but I don't yell, hit, etc.

I guess my "syptoms" are feeling down frequently, having having ups and downs throughout the day everyday, trouble sleeping, loss of appetite, laziness, loss of interest in pretty much any sort of activity, etc. I am not suicidal, but I would like to do something about it before it gets to that point.

So my question is this.. I would like to get back on antidepressants.  I would like to talk to our therapist about it, but I don't feel like he really "hears" me.  The thing is, we are involved with DHS. No food stamps or any of that crap but my son and I both have medicaid.  So could they look at that and say, "there's a mom on antidepressants, seeing a therapist.. she must be an unfit mother." Any advice? Are any of you on antidepressants?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:11 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:07 PM

DHS doesn't care if you are on anti depressants. They do care about your child being well taken care of (i.e...no abuse or neglect). Hope this helps.

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:09 PM
They will be happy you are getting help. I am in therapy and on an antidepressant and antipsychotic. If you ever need to talk just message me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FL2AK
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:09 PM
They don't care about women on depression medications. But please do yourself a favor and get mentally healthy before going to nursing school.
Redwoods_Mama

No, they would not care.

If you need some help, please get it.  You deserve to enjoy your baby and life, and your son deserves a happy, balanced mama.

ChelseySpelsey
They won't care. They want you to be the best mom you can, and if being on antidepressants helps you to do that then go for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mel0dy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I would think that they would be happy you are getting help. 

SoInLove515
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:13 PM
No, as long as your child is being cared for, you will be fine.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:27 PM

They will not care. Taking your meds as directed is actually a positive thing for you/ your son. It means you care enough to take care of yourself so that you can take even better care of your son. Good luck.

beckolette
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:33 PM

You stated you are studying to be a nurse. Check with the school. My DIL is becoming a nurse and the school provides therapy for these things. She gets free sessions and they write her scrips. It's provided as part of the schooling. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)